Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Light Julia Paula denarius - is this normal?  (Read 877 times)

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Light Julia Paula denarius - is this normal?
« on: November 25, 2020, 08:56:05 pm »
Hi all,

I was weighing some of my coins today that I didn't have recorded weights for and found my lightest denarius.  The majority of my collection is severan period denarii

In this case, it's a Julia Paula denarius which I believe matches RIC IVa 211. 

This one comes in at 2.09g, which is on the lighter side though not the lightest Severan denarius I've found online (some in the 1.7g range that seem to be legit).  My next lightest is a 2.21g caracalla RIC IVa 144a VICT PART MAX coming in at 2.21g.

This Julia Paula example averages 1mm thick on the flan edge, which is on the thinner side - I guess to be expected in a 19mm flan that weighs so light. 

Is this very unusual for a Julia Paula denarius? I checked online and the next lightest example I found after a 5 minute search was another coin from the same series at 2.11g here: https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=1726388&AucID=3930&Lot=687&Val=4aa6195743469f2af5bb103bc3f81267,

FWIW, I didn't find any die matches in the fakes gallery and I bought the coin from a well reviewed dealer in Portugal that is not on the NFSL. It definitely seems struck, no evidence of casting, and has traces of old corrosion in the flan cracks.

Obv: IVLIA PAVLA AVG, draped bust right.
Rev: CONCORDIA, Concordia seated left, holding patera; star in left field.
180 degree alignment.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Light Julia Paula denarius - is this normal?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:31:26 am »
The coin looks to me very convincing in the photo. The weights vary so much that they are not a significant criterion!
Curtis Clay

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 10:42:55 pm »
Thanks Curtis.  I actually ended up returning the coin because in-hand I was not so convinced.  It didn't "ring" right when allowed to settle on a wooden surface.  Different audible sound to all my other severan denarii which were remarkably consistent in sound apart from this coin that had a thin, high-pitched ring to it - I was worried it could have been struck in tin.  Maybe it was because it was so light, but I got spooked and the dealer was kind enough to accept a return.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 08:02:34 pm »
After returning the subject coin, I found this one at a local dealer that I think is a nicer example and I picked it up for a fair price.  It also weighs in at a much more typical 3.08g.

While the other coin was attractive, it just didn't feel real to me in-hand.  This new example, on the other hand, passes the ring test, is a marginally better obverse strike (to my eye, though the other coin had a better struck reverse), and has nicer old toning.  

What do you guys think?  Upgrade over the first coin?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-166850

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity