Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kievan Rus Monetary Seal / Fur Money Vseslav Bryachislavovich (1068-1069)  (Read 521 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I acquired another interesting lead seal of the Kievan Rus which appears to have been influenced by Byzantine seals. It measures 14.92 mm and weighs 2.67g.

Kievan Rus. Vseslav Bryachislavovich of Polotsk (1068-1069),  

Obverse St. Fedor
Reverse Cross with dots

Polotsk is the administrative center of the Polotsk district, the most ancient town of Belarus.  Between the 10th and 12th centuries, the Principality of Polotsk emerged as the dominant center of power in what is now Belarusian territory, with a lesser role played by the Principality of Turov to the south. It repeatedly asserted its sovereignty in relation to other centers of Kievan Rus, becoming a political capital, the episcopal see and the controller of vassal territories among Balts in the wes.  The Polotsk principality reached its peak during the rule of Vseslav Bryachislavovich, better known as Vseslav the Wizard.
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Kievan Rus Monetary Seal / Fur Money Vseslav Bryachislavovich (1068-1069)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:53:25 am »
Interesting, thanks for posting. Where did you get your attribution information from?
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Kievan Rus Monetary Seal / Fur Money Vseslav Bryachislavovich (1068-1069)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:54:48 pm »
At the moment, I have attributed them via similar seals offered by various auction houses.  I believe that this is referenced to Guletskiy-Doroshkevich 35. 

As I very interested in these seals, I just purchased and awaiting the  the arrival of
Byzantine and Rus' Seals : Proceedings of the International Colloquium on Rus' - Byzantine Sigillography : Kyiv, Ukraine, 13-16 September 2013

I also would like to acquire

D.V. Guletskiy, N.A. Doroshkevich
Fur money of ancient Rus XI-XIII centuries (Гулецкий, Дмитрий. "Д.В. Гулецкий, Н.А. Дорошкевич. Меховые деньги Древней Руси. XI–XIII вв)

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity