Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Merry Christmas!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins (Moderators: Marcus Aurelius, Lee S)  |  Topic: Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric)  (Read 92 times)
Trajan07
Auxiliary

« on: November 13, 2020, 04:28:10 am »

I need your help for my research regarding poor fabric Roman coinage.

Studying, listing, and even naming this coinage keeps on being an opportunity to formulate hypotheses and sharing.

I wish to extend the work initiated by Philip V. HILL in his article "Barbarous Radiates" Imitations of Third-Century Roman Coins, published in Numismatic Notes and Monographs no.112, 1949.

My main objective is to illustrate the classification of this coinage by types of reverse as he suggested. I want to create an open access iconographic corpus (PDF files) for future research and hypotheses.

I also have two secondary goals:

As you can guess, I need everybody's help in this undertaking. If you happen to have poor fabric in your collections, you may send me pictures of both obverse and reverse along with the weight and diameter (if known) at the following address: [b]imitations.radiees@gmail.com[/b]

All submissions will be of great help, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to send me your "treasures"!

"Paths are made by walking" (Antonio MACHADO) - I may need quite a few pairs of shoes Smiley

Trajan07
Auxiliary

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 04:29:57 am »

Quote from: Trajan07 on November 13, 2020, 04:28:10 am
I need your help for my research regarding poor fabric Roman coinage.

Studying, listing, and even naming this coinage keeps on being an opportunity to formulate hypotheses and sharing.

I wish to extend the work initiated by Philip V. HILL in his article "Barbarous Radiates" Imitations of Third-Century Roman Coins, published in Numismatic Notes and Monographs no.112, 1949.

My main objective is to illustrate the classification of this coinage by types of reverse as he suggested. I want to create an open access iconographic corpus (PDF files) for future research and hypotheses.

I also have two secondary goals:

As you can guess, I need everybody's help in this undertaking. If you happen to have poor fabric in your collections, you may send me pictures of both obverse and reverse along with the weight and diameter (if known) at the following address: [b]imitations.radiees@gmail.com[/b]

All submissions will be of great help, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to send me your "treasures"!

"Paths are made by walking" (Antonio MACHADO) - I may need quite a few pairs of shoes Smiley

*Alex
Procurator Caesaris
Quaestor
Caesar

Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 05:16:28 am »

Hi and welcome to FORVM,

I have three "barbarous radiates" in my collection which I hope are of interest to you.
The links to them are listed below.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-165903

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-165901

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-165612

Alex

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 04:03:17 pm »

I would be happy to help but I would like to know what you mean by "poor fabric"?

Do you mean any coin that we believe is a barbarous radiate or only ones with certain characteristics?  And if so what?

Under a certain diameter?  Non-circular?  Unofficial design?

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins (Moderators: Marcus Aurelius, Lee S)  |  Topic: Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop