Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Florian  (Read 303 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Florian
« on: November 12, 2020, 11:59:43 pm »
I think I may have picked up my first Florian coin in a mixed lot but been having trouble identifying it.  I am kind of leaning to it being a  contemporary forgery or hybrid due to not being able to match up the legends.  It is a little bit rough and looks like someone tried to clean it previously.

It is 23.3 mm and 3 g.

Obverse legend is
IMP C M ANN FLORIANVS AVG

The reverse looks like it could be
Victory standing right, presenting wreath of victory to Florian standing opposite, holding spear.

However, the legend doesn't match up with CONCORDIA MILITVM  My coin reverse legend looks like it is something like VICTORIA PERPET?A AVG.

I have included a couple of closer pictures of the legend.

The first is start of the legend
the second is 12-1 o'clock
the third 3-4 o'clock
The forth is of the centre and exergue
Hope they help.

If anyone has any help it would be appreciated.  I also will be posting in the cleaning section to see if there is anything that can be done for this one.

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Florian
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 03:49:52 am »
Could be a VICTORIA PERPETVA AVG reverse, with a star in field and KA gamma as a mintmark (Serdica, 3d officina).

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 07:28:59 am »
The coin might benefit from a brushing with a nylon brush, but be careful to observe whether the green surface under the mud is hard or soft.  If soft, even a nylon brush may cause problems.

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:50:40 pm »
Thank you for pointing me in that direction.  Was able to find a couple similar on the RIC online and acsearch.  I will carefully brush it and see if I can somewhat clean it, though I am not holding out too much hope

All coins are guaranteed for eternity