Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 20 Nummi  (Read 957 times)

Offline Kris W

• Auxiliary
20 Nummi
« on: September 26, 2020, 12:38:43 pm »
Hi all....Newb to the forum.

I have a few ancients I've picked up over last few years and an trying to learn more about them.

I won this in my coin clubs penny draw a while back, and would appreciate any info anyone has on it.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: 20 Nummi
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:51:50 pm »
The obverse is pretty rough, but it looks like a coin of Justinian I....to my old eyes.
Let's see what others think.
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:36:35 pm »
Yup.  And the A below the K indicates that it is Constantinople's 1st workshop.

Can't make out the full date (to the right of the K).  I can see XII - which fits year 12 (=538 AD), the first of this issue.  But it could be XIII or one with X and the strange Byzantine:V: 

That would make it MIBE 96.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kris W

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:01:22 pm »
Thanks for the help!

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 11:12:31 am »
Justinian's half folles from year 12-15 are very large, basically the size of a follis from the later sixth century. What's the size/weight of this piece?
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity