Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal Help  (Read 798 times)

Offline Laird B

• Praetorian
Byzantine Seal Help
« on: November 04, 2020, 10:37:26 pm »
I am finding these seals tough to decipher.  This one (6.98g, 20mm) seems to have Michael on one side (although I'm not sure if that is a decorative cross or X at the top) with a title or name below?  The other side seems to start with a cross and have  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Omicron:.  I thought this might be some sort of title for a scribe or record-keeper but couldn't make any headway on that.  Any help much appreciated!

Offline Laird B

• Praetorian
Re: Byzantine Seal Help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 11:31:50 am »
I now see that there was an administrative office "Logothete", of which there were numerous types - in particular they were responsible for the collection of taxes but their responsibilities seemed to expand over time to include most administrative tasks.  Looking online there is only one badly preserved seal with this title at Dumberton so I'm still stuck on which type of administrator this was.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:02:50 pm »
You're on the wrong track. Logous bebaio means 'I secure the words'.
Regards
Gert

Offline Laird B

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 10:26:41 pm »
Thanks Gert I really appreciate your help!  Can you recommend a good Greek dictionary that would have the byzantine forms of these Greek words?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 04:18:22 am »
Any dictionary online will do but you will also need some basic knowledge of grammar to make sense of these verse inscriptions. Logous won't be in the dictionary, because it is derived from logos, word.
Regards
Gert

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:30:14 pm »
Nice seal!
As Gert said, it secures the words. The words of Michael Komanites.
Regards
Iolkia

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 03:25:50 pm »
Indeed, a very nice seal.  There is an example in the Dumbarton Oaks collection   BZS.1958.106.5655 which appears to be from the same
 boulloterion. Diameter: 16.0 mm; field: 12.0 mm  λόγους βεβαιῶ Μιχαὴλ Κομανίτου  - I secure the words of Michael Komanites.  Eleventh century, second half. They cite it as Wassiliou-Seibt, Siegel mit metrischen Legenden I, no. 1297.

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Laird B

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 03:06:57 pm »
Thanks for your help everyone!  Fascinating how these can be attributed to specific people.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity