Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pontos Aegis, Need help with city  (Read 257 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Pontos Aegis, Need help with city
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:06:15 pm »
Bought a lot of Pontos coins that included this one.  It is 21.7mm 6.6g.

Although tough to see I dont think it falls in to the typical Amisus, Pontos.  I am leaning to it being from KOMANA based on what inscription I can see in the right field of the obverse

To me it looks like a NA or a M, though looking at the possible options for inscriptions I think Komana is the closest.  Am I missing another city?  There arn't many Komana ones in the gallery or on wildwinds to compare to.  I think I do have another one in my lot, which looks closer to the ΝΩ that should start the inscription in the right field..  That one I have included as the second picture.  Looking on acsearch they all seem to be closer to my second one.  The problem coins inscription just seems to not match.

Thank you for your opinions.

Blayne

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Pontos Aegis, Need help with city
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 05:46:13 pm »
Perhaps the M or whatever it is does not belong to a city's name but is one of the monograms below, similar to here: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5388474
If you compare the position of the M relative to the legs of Nike then it is positioned quite low, the ethnikon is mostly further up.

Here are some more to look for a match:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=%28pontos+paphlagonia%29+%28aigis+aegis%29+nike+&category=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&thesaurus=1&order=1&currency=usd&company=

Regards

Altamura

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Re: Pontos Aegis, Need help with city
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 06:22:10 pm »
I did wonder about it being a monogram.  It didnt seem to match with any that I could see in A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Pontus, Paphlagonia, Bithynia.  Though I assume that doesnt have all the monograms.  Ill scroll through the Acsearch link you provided to see if anything looks similar.

Also thank you very much, I have had trouble searching on acsearch and am usually limited to one term.  I didnt know the other formats to eliminate or narrow down a search.  Now that you opened my eyes- I see the how to instructions :(   That would have helped me a lot in the past, but glad I know it now

Thanks

Blayne   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity