Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help please, siliqua?  (Read 692 times)

Offline James F4

• Praetorian
Help please, siliqua?
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:58:21 pm »
Unsure about the authenticity of this coin tbh, Honorius? Size is 12.5/14mm and weight is .87gm. Any help appreciated.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Help please, siliqua?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 11:16:38 pm »
Quote from: James F4 on October 31, 2020, 05:58:21 pm
Unsure about the authenticity of this coin tbh, Honorius? Size is 12.5/14mm and weight is .87gm. Any help appreciated.

I don't see any reason to doubt it. I have an unidentified siliqua that looks to be the same coin but not a die match. Legends on mine are off flan.

Offline James F4

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:51 am »
Thank you!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:10:09 am »
Many of these found in northern and central Europe have been clipped--as your specimen seems to have been.

Offline James F4

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 07:21:52 am »
I believe it was  UK found, I collect hammered also and they are sometimes clipped beyond recognition. Do you think it is Honorius? I like the portrait either way so don't mind if it has some clipping around the edges, might have been the difference between some ancient guy feeding his kids or going hungry!

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 01:35:38 pm »
Quote from: James F4 on November 01, 2020, 07:21:52 am
I believe it was  UK found, I collect hammered also and they are sometimes clipped beyond recognition. Do you think it is Honorius? I like the portrait either way so don't mind if it has some clipping around the edges, might have been the difference between some ancient guy feeding his kids or going hungry!

It's very similar to my unidentified one that has been heavily clipped.

Offline James F4

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 01:58:06 pm »
Yes, very similar. This is the closed I could find to what these coins might have looked like without the clipping.
Honorius, 393-423. Siliqua (Silver, 14 mm, 0.91 g, 7 h), Milan, 402. D N HONORI-VS P F AVG Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust of Honorius to right. Rev. VIRTVS RO-MANORVM / MDPS Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory set on globe in her right hand and spear in her left. RIC 1228

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 07:55:05 am »
The clipping seems not to have been random, but rather many clipped pieces seem to have been systematically reduced to about the same weight, presumably a reduction made by some authority.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity