Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spelling error on Macrianus, Quietus and Gallienus antoninianus  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Spelling error on Macrianus, Quietus and Gallienus antoninianus
« on: October 29, 2020, 04:45:11 pm »
Hi all,
Today i received a second specimen of an Gallienus antoninianus with an interesting spelling error on the reverse:
AEQVTAS AVG, instead of the usual AEQVITAS AVG.
I noted that this spelling also is common on Macrianus and Quietus coins (see WildWinds example below)
As the style of Gallienus coins is the same as those of the usurpers I think they were struck in the same timeframe and place, and perhaps even by the same die-cutters.
The revolt of the Macrianii was crushed in 261 AD, so these coins were struck probably shortly after.
Perhaps the coins were struck to show the loyalty of Antioch and Samosata mintworkers to the true Emperor?
Maybe the spelling AEQVTAS was acceptable in the East, as the sheer number of coins can rule out a lazy Quality Control department at the mint.
Does anyone know if the Gallienus coin has a RIC number for this variety? Thanks in advance!

Gr Luuk

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Spelling error on Macrianus, Quietus and Gallienus antoninianus
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 06:26:58 pm »
According to Göbl Valerian and Gallienus 1727, the spelling of the legend on the Aequitas antoniniani of Macrianus and Quietus is always AEQVTAS, to which Göbl adds (!).
Curtis Clay

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:04:24 am »
Nice Macrianus coin! I'm still looking for a AEQVTAS AVGG from Macrianus, but i have two others from him and one from Quietus.
Its indeed intriguing that apparantly all coins from these usurpers use the AEQVTAS spelling.
The most probable causes are:
1) all die-cutters made the same error,
2) Aeqvtas was an acceptable spelling at this time and place in the empire
3) all Macrianus and Quietus coins of this type were made by the same person at the same mint (who had limited knowledge of Latin)
4) no-one noticed the error at the mint(s).
But none of these options seem really convincing on their own. Option 3 is of course interesting, as the Gallienus coins could be made by the same guy.
However, the AEQVTAS coins appear to be minted both at Antioch and Samosata, meaning option 3 is less likely.
Nevertheless, the distance between these cities was not astronomical, and he could have worked at both mints  :)
Whatever the reason, we can only speculate as the answer is lost to the fog of time :(

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:08:54 am »
I suspect that dies would have been checked by at least one supervisor.  We know some errors got through regardless but such repeat use appears to eliminate theories 1, 3 and 4.

I suspect either,

2) a regional variation, perhaps based on the pronunciation in that primarily Greek-speaking part of the Empire, or

a modified version of 3 where due to general unfamiliarity with Latin the entire mint staff thought it was correct. 

Obviously these two tend to blur tog ether - if the whole mint staff thought it was correct then might that not mean that version was the local way?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 08:44:18 am »
Hi all,
Today i made this wonderful addition to my collection, the first Quietus antoninianus i have with AEQVTAS AVGG reverse.
To make it even more interesting, the obverse also shows a spelling error: IMP C FVL QUITVS PF AVG, instead of QVIETVS.
Have a nice new year all!  ;D
Gr Luuk

Offline nemesis

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 11:05:24 am »
Hi All,

I have just spotted this thread.  I also have a coin from this period that has a spelling error.  It is a Macrianus antoninianus that has a reverse legend that reads MARTI ROPVGNATORI.  I have never seen another like it, but have seen occasional specimens where the legend is spelled correctly.  I have always thought that it was just down to poor engraving by someone who was not that familiar with Latin, with a not-too attentive supervisor.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 11:32:38 am »
I don't understand why nobody is talking about possibility #5 ?
Picture of the die-engraver during lunch break...
DT

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 05:52:07 pm »
DT

Ha!
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 04:12:01 am »
Quote from: nemesis on December 31, 2020, 11:05:24 am
Hi All,

I have just spotted this thread.  I also have a coin from this period that has a spelling error.  It is a Macrianus antoninianus that has a reverse legend that reads MARTI ROPVGNATORI.  I have never seen another like it, but have seen occasional specimens where the legend is spelled correctly.  I have always thought that it was just down to poor engraving by someone who was not that familiar with Latin, with a not-too attentive supervisor.

Very nice coin and error!

DT

Hahaha that seems a legit option, looking at these coins  :laugh:

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 05:33:46 am »
Interesting.

I saw this antoninianus of Quietus being offered at a relatively new auction house. It has the unusual error of omitting the first 'V' of his name!

I bid on it, but unfortunately didn't win  :'(
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 05:49:07 am »
AEQVITAS type exist for Quietus, not only AEQVTAS. But very rare

Online AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 07:55:07 am »
The AEQVTAS  reverse legend is from the second eastern mint (Samosata ?). This mint according to Göbl presents moreover various faulty reverse legends (SOL INVICTO, APOLINI) and from time to time spelling errors or careless mistakes. The correct AEQVITAS reverse legend is probably not from that mint but from the third eastern mint (Emesa ?) which however shares the SOL INVICTO form.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity