Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CONSTANTINOPOLIS (Victory on prow types) identification  (Read 384 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
CONSTANTINOPOLIS (Victory on prow types) identification
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:26:58 pm »
Using Helvetica's Victory on Prow Typefinder I think I have this one identified.  Only issue is it shows R4-R5, I know that's not very accurate but it made me wonder if I read one of the identification markers wrong.  Its my first time using this part of the excel sheet and it looks very handy.

What I can up with is RIC VII Cyzicus 107; Sear 16478
the Exergue certainly could read the Dot SMKA or (Delta) mintmark

I did think I was looking at a Cyzicus or Heraclea based on what I could read mint mark wise.

Then using the type finder I selected
stride -narrow
wingspan-wide
sceptre lower end -between hips and shield

Which leaves me with the only option.
Looking at the other variables they all seem to match
wings length to-waist
prow height-low
prow angle-flat
hand hldg sceptre is where?-waist
shield size-mid size
shield angle-right
prow nose-hooked (not sure on this one)

Coin size is 17.9mm 1.7g

Am I on the right track using this tool?

Thanks,

Blayne

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Re: CONSTANTINOPOLIS (Victory on prow types) identification
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:36:20 pm »
Interesting,  I thought I had saw a reply to my request this morning but not showing now, and not showing when I look at the 100 recent posts.

I believe the author was an Alex  and he thought I should look at Heraclea and had a photo which looked very similar from his collection.   Unfortunately, I was reading it with sleep in my eyes and thought I would investigate more later, now its disappeared. 
Wish I had paid more attention.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 07:20:17 pm »
Sorry Blayne, I did post a reply.

I had thought that stylistically both Victory's wings and the distinctive prow of the galley on my Heraclea coin seemed very similar to those on your coin. But there are a lot of differences in the two coins as well and since I have not looked at Helvetica's  typefinder I thought mentioning it might just be fudging the issue so I deleted the post.

However, since you have brought it up, my coin is below so you can perhaps see what I meant.

Alex

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 01:34:01 pm »
Thanks Alex.  I was wondering if I was going mad lol

There are certainly several aspects that our two coins share and a couple differences as you mentioned. 
Overall, the  style seems very similar.
As I was using Helvetica's type finder the final two options I come up with is Heraclea 144 and Cyzicus 107.
I think it was the end of the scepter positioning and the rarity rating on the Heraclea that pushed me to assume mine was the more common Cyzicus.  Obviously I cant be 100% definitive just using the type finder.

Thanks for reposting your coin and it also gives me the chance to peruse your gallery :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity