Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RPC online Prowe reference  (Read 864 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
RPC online Prowe reference
« on: October 25, 2020, 11:42:13 am »
I just had to look up a coin of Marcus Aurelius and check the references whilst preparing a coin for wildwinds.
The coin in question is given as
8778 (temporary)   (there was no image so I uploaded the one I have)
Under example, it cites
"Prowe I, 455$ = ex private coll. L. Ruzicka"

Checking the list of references on the RPC website it gives me
Prowe I
Egger 17 (28/11/1904), coll. Prowe I

But when I look in my copy of Prowe I from that Egger sale, coin 455 is a coin of Tomis, and there were no coins of Pautalia at all in that sale.
So why does it give Prowe I, 455$ when it appears to be incorrect, and what does the $ denote ?

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: RPC online Prowe reference
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 12:31:47 pm »
While I do not have an image, I think this coin refers to Ruzicka p. 53 #47.  There it is recorded as Ruzicka, Auction Prowe Cat. Egger XLV (1913) 455 irrig. London Cat. 141, 7 zitiert Rs. stempelgleich mit 171 des Verus-Maximus.  So probably incorrect auction cited. I think the $ is also a typographical error.  This die was a circle with a dot in the center in pediment which differentiates from other reverse dies of this type.  My copy of BMC Thrace has #7 for Marcus on page 142, but clearly the coin referenced.  I attached Ruzicka 49 (listed as 46 by CNG EAuction 174 lot 107).  I forgot where, but I recall reading that there was a plague around this period that may have contributed to the proliferation of this reverse type; temple of healing gods.

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:10:25 pm »
Ruzicka 49 depicted above. 48 has different obverse die, just head not bust.

In addition I attached the Berlin specimen for Ruzicka 49.  The major difference for these types (Ruzicka 46-49) is the position and breakup of the ethnic on the reverse.

JPW

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 01:35:59 pm »
I have seen other non-existent "Prowe I" references on the RPC website before and have asked about it here on Forvm as well, but did not receive a reply.
I already have the Ruzicka 49 CNG coin you showed, in the "ready for upload" dock, the one I was looking for has just a laureate head, not draped. It is Varbanov 4414 (Ruzicka 45) (sent to me by Ivan V.) and just wanted to find some additional references, as I like to give several refs. on wildwinds, so that people can check their coin against the books that they have.

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 01:59:07 pm »
RPC tends to lump coins that have the same reverse type but reverse dies, with distinct differences, together.  Ruzicka, on the other hand, was very precise recording these differences.  For example RPC lists Ruzicka 46, 47, and 49 together under the same temporary number, but these three reverse dies are all different in the legend breaks.

Ruzicka 46   in exergue ΠAVTAΛIΩTΩN

Ruzicka 47  in exergue ΠAVTAΛI
                                   ΩTΩN

Ruzicka 49 in exergue  ΠAVTAΛIΩ
                                    TΩN

Ruzicka 48=49, same reverse die but different obverse die combination.

I could understand if the reverse dies were arranged the same in legend and devices, but executed slightly differently. But differences, as listed above, deserve individual entries.

JPW

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 02:45:24 pm »
I was just browsing on the Pautalia page:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/pautalia/i.html

Marcus Aurelius, AE32 of Pautalia, Thrace.

AVT KAI M AVR ANTWNINOC, laureate head right.
H K TOYL MAXIMOY PAVTALIWTWN, tetrastyle temple containing
Asklepios standing left, resting on serpent-entwined staff.

Varbanov 4422 (this coin); Moushmov 4101; Ruzicka 46.

Courtesy of Antike Münzen Auction 2002.

This coin is Ruzicka 45, not 46 as Varbanov recorded. Different rx type, Asklepios alone.

JPW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity