Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Merry Christmas!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: Digital Microscope 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Digital Microscope  (Read 254 times)
Blayne W
Consul

« on: October 22, 2020, 11:12:25 am »

Just want to tell you about this digital microscope I found.  I have had it for about a month. It has been very handy in identifying and cleaning coins.
Basically it has a 4.3 inch screen that enables you to see what the microscope is focused on.  Has the ability to take photos on SD card, though I havent tried it yet.  Also can connect to your computer and stream the output on a bigger screen.  I did find a bit of lag there but for tough to identify legends it certainly does help. Also has a light that can be adjusted for brightness.

I can provide a link on amazon site if anyone wants but  basically if you look for a digital microscope on there it should pop up.  There are several similar knock off brands that sell them.   I actually have had two, due to my first order getting lost then found.   Gave one to a friends 10 year old son, with some roman coins to get him started. 

I have been very happy with mine.

Couple photos of it in action, pardon my mess.  The third coin has a q-tip for reference.

* IMG_1477.jpg (218.9 KB, 1024x1365 - viewed 33 times.)

* IMG_1478.jpg (206.41 KB, 1024x1365 - viewed 32 times.)

* IMG_1479.jpg (156.87 KB, 1024x1365 - viewed 32 times.)

Mark F
Praetorian

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 09:15:51 pm »

Very interesting! Can you reduce the resolution so that you can see the entire coin?

Mark
Blayne W
Consul

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:00:56 pm »

Not that I have figured out.  I have played with adjusting the height of the lens away from the coin.  The lens height is adjustable by the knobs on the side, though doesn't go high enough to bring in the whole coin.  So I turn the lens away from the base and then prop it up higher.  It does work, as per the pictures.  When I do it, I have weight on the base, as with the camera out to the side, it tips.  The quality isn't the greatest but hopefully, the photos help illustrate.

* IMG_1483.jpg (188.05 KB, 924x1209 - viewed 33 times.)

* IMG_1484.jpg (237.24 KB, 1024x2173 - viewed 30 times.)

* IMG_1482.jpg (261.26 KB, 1024x1365 - viewed 31 times.)

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 03:40:33 pm »

Interesting as it looks like the Leuchturm digital microscope I have with a screen bolted to the top and a larger stand to handle the greater weight.

The one I have was advertised as having variable magnification but that really seems to consist of moving it up and down and then focussing it, not an actual digital zoom.  As such it is not as useful as I thought - great for close-ups but not much more - or I just haven't mastered its use.  On the plus side the photo function is really easy.  My avatar pic comes form one such shot.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Blayne W
Consul

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »

I did buy a  microscope when I first started cleaning and attributing but just found I could not use it, wearing glasses and  looking through the eye piece just never seemed to work.
Became a glasses off, look through the eye piece then glasses back on to look up info, glasses off, glasses on type of situation

I then bought a camera to stream it to my computer, that was a waste of money.   This has worked well for me and that is why I wanted to share the info.

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:13:10 pm »

I agree the glasses to no glasses cycle for the real binocular microscope is a big pain - as is the crook in my over-50 neck that always results.

One problem with the digital one I have is that it displays the image on the laptop which has to sit some distance away.  This  makes cleaning using it very difficult. 

Yours fixes that with the screen right where the eye holes would be.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: Digital Microscope « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop