Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal  (Read 848 times)

Magistros

Seal
« on: October 21, 2020, 11:26:16 am »
Hi all, would this be a correct reading for this seal? I think this may be 12th/13th century? Some letters and words are obscured but I think that the general meaning can be read:

Obverse, St George.

Reverse:
(M)APT(V)C
(CK)EΠΟΙC...
..H ME TO...
BACIΛΑΙ...

Martyr protect me, Basil.

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
Re: Seal
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 03:37:38 pm »
Hi,

I think you are right! I suggest:

MAΡΤΥC CKEΠOIC ANΘΗ ΜΕ ΤΟΝ ΒΑCΙΛΑΚ(Η).

Martyr, may you protect me Anthes Basilakes.

Regards,
Iolkia

Magistros

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 07:07:29 pm »
Thanks for your helpful comments! I think you’re right; that last line is more likely  ΒΑCΙΛΑΚ(Η), and so the family name rather than the name Basil.

Would it be correct to suggest a circa 13th century date for this seal? The lettering is more of a later style, and the ‘M’ on the third line reminds me of those on later seals.

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:12:54 pm »
You are right that the key element is the letter “M”. From the middle of the 12th century until the middle of the 14th the two diagonal lines meet at the middle of the height. So I would tend to say that your seal is somewhere between the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 13th.

Regards
Iolkia

Magistros

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 06:37:41 pm »
Thanks for the informative reply!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity