Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown 1540 Coin  (Read 872 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Unknown 1540 Coin
« on: March 27, 2021, 11:57:30 pm »
A friend asked me if I knew what this was.
No idea really. Dated 1540.

Nothing like what I collect. Any ideas?
No weight given, says it's about the size of a quarter. Sorry for the lack of specifics.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unknown 1540 Coin
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 01:03:30 am »
Dear SRukke and Board,

It belongs to a group of "Venus penny jetons" that are apparently common finds in Britain:

https://www.rodblunt.com/nuremberg-jetons-types

Michael Mitchiner seems to have a fair amount to say about them in his book, Jetons, Medalets & Tokens: The medieval period and Nuremberg (1988), including their regular appearance in the mud of the Thames River.

However, according to one French dealer, who is offering a piece very similar to your friend's (if it is not an exact match), the variety in question may be rather rare, especially in the condition that it is in. Attached are the seller's images and what follows is his description (please ignore the date given):

Jeton à la Vénus. Gand. 1567.

A/ * WER* VERLONE* SCHVLD: RECH: DVT. Dans un polylobe fleuri, Vénus debout de face tenant une écharpe et une urne.
R/ * DER: HAT: SELDEN: EIN: GVTEN: MWT. Écu écartelé accosté d’arabesques et surmonté de la (date).
Cuivre. 7,55 g. 33,0 mm. 9 h.
F.14496.
RR. TTB+.
Légères variations de légende au revers par rapport au Feuardent. Très bel exemplaire de ce rare jeton de compte avec les légendes complètes

The reference cited is volume three of Félix-Bienaimé Feuardent's Jetons et méreaux depuis Louis IX jusqu'à la fin du Consulat de Bonaparte, published in 1915 and sadly not online yet according to what I have been able to discover so far.  Mitchiner lists the maker of "F.14496" as "Anonymous."

Hope some of this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Unknown 1540 Coin
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 02:37:12 am »
Mark, very good information. Much appreciated. Scott