Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please confirm the RIC number of Trajanus quadrans  (Read 444 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Please confirm the RIC number of Trajanus quadrans
« on: October 18, 2020, 04:06:47 pm »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
Please confirm the attribution of this Trajanus quadrans (if relevant, according to seller - 20 mm., 3,01 g, the coin is not into my possesion so cannot confirm)

Would it be RIC II 693?
http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.2.tr.693

I cannot find any similar example (on this coin the legend starts with IMP TRAIANO AVG, so definitely not 692, on 692 the legend is IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG)

What confuses me more is that on this coin the legend appears to end with VII P - I can't find any Trajanus coin with this ending so strongly suspect it is because of the wear and the P looks like an I and the legend is  IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P

Could an experienced collector please confirm the attribution? (693)
Also, why can't I find another picture of the 693?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Please confirm the RIC number of Trajanus quadrans
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:42:17 pm »
Yes, RIC 693, obverse COS VI P P, with the loop of the first P not struck up or damaged. Trajan never became COS VII, and as COS VI his legend normally included P P.

You can't find many pictures because this is a very rare coin. Woytek 601 reports just three specimens, all from the same pair of dies, in Glasgow, Paris, and CNG 38, 1996, lot 975. So yours appears to be the fourth known specimen, also from the same pair of dies.
Curtis Clay

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:09:19 pm »
Thank you, Curtis!
Managed to find CNG 38, 1996, lot 975 and it very much fits.
Will also buy mr Woytek's book in the near future.
Glad to have a rare coin (currently waiting for it to arrive :) ), as all I wanted was a random coin from Trajanus.

Would you  think the coin requires cleaning? I don't know what those black spots are or if they pose any threat.
I am reluctant in cleaning coins as I would hate ruining a piece of history.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:58:08 pm »
You were lucky! With the normal, shorter obv. legend this is a very common coin.

I think the black deposits will not cause any harm, but they are ugly and distracting, so I would remove them, using a scalpel under a microscope. Minor scratches can generally be made to disappear with Brass Black and/or the smoke from a burning match. However, you might first want to gain some experience by trying to clean a number of less important coins. Or maybe you have a more experienced friend who would be willing to clean the coin for you.
Curtis Clay

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 06:01:55 pm »
Thank you again.
I think I will not clean it or at least wait until I'm experienced with this. Would be a shame to ruin it.
I have been collecting modern coins and banknotes for years and have just decided to start collecting ancients. New road, lots to learn....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity