Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spots on siliqua  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Spots on siliqua
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »
So stick the siliqua into 25% CLR and see what happens. It's hardly going to make it worse than it is.

Ross g.

Hi folks,

I agree with glebe here. I have much less of a problem with sticking the siliqua in the solution because it isn't a "pretty" coin to begin with. In fact, it is quite ugly. With that coin, you don't have much to lose.

However, regarding the Gordian sestertius, PB "ruined" a coin with a beautiful black/green patina.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 03:48:17 pm »
The Gord sest. brought in over $100 more devoid of the verdigris

Hi PB,

Maybe the person who purchased it was a beginner, or someone who isn't a "purist" (like myself), or someone who primarily collects modern coins and doesn't know much about ancient coins.

It was graded by a third party grading service. This implies that was probably slabbed. Who buys slabbed ancient coins? Someone who falls into the 3 categories above. ;)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 03:54:22 pm »
For myself, I would prefer a Perfect 86 ct Diamond cut from a 128 ct raw stone

Hi PB,

I wouldn't.

I would prefer the raw uncut stone.

And I think most geologists would too.

Are you secretly Kim Kardashian masquerading as Pete B? :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 04:05:22 pm »
Annnnd, for those who wonder about NGC's efficacy concerning Ancient coins, may I remind everyone that they have their company-founded Numismatic Conservation Services department?

Hi PB,

What does that mean? That and $1.50 will get you on the bus (as the old saying goes).

How do you know what they are conserving? Over the decades, I have learned to approach with caution any of these "many-tentacled" organizations/businesses, ones that don't exclusively deal in ancient coins. Based on my 22 years of ancient coin experiences (since 1998), businesses that started out with modern coins and then added ancient coins as an afterthought are not the types of merchants I want to do business with.

Suppose their conservation services department is run by Moe, Larry, and Curly? :)

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity