Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake KALLATIA Drachm?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline F S

• Legionary
Fake KALLATIA Drachm?
« on: October 11, 2020, 06:13:31 pm »
Dear all,

I am a relatively novice collector, still on a steep learning curve, and I've purchased coins from this store. This is about a different purchase, from eBay.

I recently bought what was listed as an authentic KALLATIA drachm... see here: [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] (image only: [PHOTO BELOW UPLOADED BY ADMIN]. I haven't yet received it, but in the mean time I developed serious doubts about its authenticity.

I came upon disturbingly similar specimens on other sites. See this one: [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] (image only: [PHOTO BELOW UPLOADED BY ADMIN]). And this one: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/alexander-the-great-thrace-kallatis-458801343).

It seemed to me it was unlikely that all three of these could be authentic, given the similar grade and striking similarities even in some of the wear patterns which are located on almost, if not identical parts of the coins. I find it difficult to believe that three quasi-identical copies would have been preserved in this state from 3rd century BC.

Then, today I had the "wisdom" to search the fake coins database here and, it appears that at least two coins like the one I bought are posted there: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-7595. It's too bad I wised up after i bought it, but, perhaps better later than never and this serves me as a lesson to continue to be on alert.

At this point, if anyone would be willing to comment, I'd appreciate a confirmation of my suspicion related to this coin. It will support my claim and, the minute the coin makes it to my mailbox, I will return it to the seller. I had asked the seller to give me some background on this coin after I had bought it from him, but he never responded (another red flag in my book). I may even consider reporting him here, if the coin is indeed a fake and he denies it.

Of course, if you think the coin I bought could be authentic, I'll hold off on sending it back and confronting the seller, and perhaps ask for an NGC preliminary evaluation.

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,
Florin

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Fake KALLATIA Drachm?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:06:46 pm »
If they are not the same coin, I would send it back to the seller with supporting photos.
PeteB

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:45:14 am »
Unfortunately it is indeed a fake  :(, see two more here:
http://www.forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=oaWGNKumLC4=
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-7595

They all have a little dot beneath the nose of Herakles.

Regards

Altamura

Offline F S

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:56:01 am »
Thank you for your feedback and confirmation. Yes, you're right, the dot under Herakles's nose and another "blob" in front of his forehead raised the first red flags. Then, the two indents on the sides of the flan on the reverse are virtually identical. Even the hairline scratch between the corn ear and the club is the same width, length and positioning.

It goes back to the seller and I will report the fake here in Fake Coin Reports. Do you think I should report the seller along with the coin? Maybe he made mistake, wasn't aware the coin was fake etc., so I would want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I am considering this as a serivice to others who might come across his store on eBay and to be on alert.

Thanks much again for your help!

Best regards,
Florin

Offline Flamur H

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 08:49:00 pm »
Ask for money back

All coins are guaranteed for eternity