Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman? Seal Husband and Wife? Dhometios and Marsogos? 14.16mm 4.34 g  (Read 1120 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I acquired an interesting lead seal with a male bust on the obverse and a female bust on the reverse.  It measures approximately 14.16 mm and weighs 4.34 g

On the obverse, there is a male bust right and  :Greek_Delta:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Mu:  :Greek_Theta_2:   :Greek_Omicron: The seller thought it solved ΔΟΜΕΤΙΩ Dometius though I think it might be Δομέτιος Dhometios.  

On the reverse, there is a female bust right and  :Greek_Mu:  :A:  :Greek_Rho:      :Csquare:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Pi_2:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Csquare: Marsogos?

To my eye, the design looks like those 4th century Roman coins with the emperor on one side and the empress on the reverse.  Is these seal late Roman or early Byzantine?  Do you all agree that it is a female bust on the reverse?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Roman? Seal Husband and Wife? Dhometios and Marsogos? 14.16mm 4.34 g
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 05:21:03 pm »
Any opinions on whether my seal here is Roman or Byzantine?  To me, it seems possibly to be from the 5th Century when the Empire was shifting East.  And it does seem very interest with a female bust /wife on the reverse.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman? Seal Husband and Wife? Dhometios and Marsogos? 14.16mm 4.34 g
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 08:46:24 pm »
Stylistically it is very similar to mid-3rd century Alexandrian tetradrachms.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity