Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying (paperweight?) of early Christian art  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Andrew G3

• Auxiliary
Identifying (paperweight?) of early Christian art
« on: October 06, 2020, 12:59:30 pm »
This may not be allowed since it's not an antiquity, so please delete if needed.

I hope someone in this group might know whether this item is a reproduction of a specific piece of early Christian art. It's cast metal, with felt on the back as though meant to be a paperweight or something.

I recognize the design as having some symbolism from the early days of Christian art (chi rho, peacock as symbol of immortality, etc). Overall, its decoration is very similar to this fifth-century sarcophagus (https://thevcs.org/bodily-resurrection/life-latent-death) but the decoration of my paperweight does not precisely match anything that I have seen. It seems like such an archaic thing to make if it is not meant to be a reproduction of something, but I haven't been able to find what if anything it is copying.

Does anyone by chance recognize whether this is a reproduction of a specific piece of early Christian art? Or is it just meant to invoke the feel of early art?

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: Identifying (paperweight?) of early Christian art
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:31:28 pm »
Not that it really matters, but just out of curiosity, how big is it?

Offline Andrew G3

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 10:52:50 am »
About 3 inches / 7.5 cm

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 07:45:48 pm »
It also looks like it has the crossed papal keys in another part so is likely a modern compilation of images.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity