Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Bronze 2 Solidi Weight?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Bronze 2 Solidi Weight?
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:02:07 am »
I acquired an interesting Byzantine bronze weight as part of a lot.  It measures approximately 15.66 mm x 15.38 x 5.34 mm and weighs 8.93 g.  On the obverse, there is  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Beta: within a wreath.  There are grooved edges.  This is a bit tangential to my area of collecting and would appreciate learning more about this weight. I believe that this is a 2 solidi weight.  Does the style indicate a particular date of the weight?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Byzantine Bronze 2 Solidi Weight?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
Yes, this is a Byzantine 2 nomismata (solidi) weight.

Entwhistle at the British Museum dates pieces like this to the 5th & 6th centuries AD.

Ross G.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:54:08 am »
Thank you Ross for helping me date this nice Byzantine weight.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 11:23:54 pm »
Nice weight.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity