Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzanz Coin, Real ?  (Read 1504 times)

Tobias V

Byzanz Coin, Real ?
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:50:50 pm »
Hello Guy`s,

I would like to know if the coin is real ?

The diameter is 19,74mm to 20,13mm

Weight will be submitted later.

greetings Tobi

Tobias V

Re: Byzanz Coin, Real ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 04:04:47 pm »
The weight is 1,8gram

Tobias V

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 06:55:13 pm »
I think these pictures are better !

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:20:41 am »
There seems to be a wire-edge on the reverse, which is not a good sign of authenticity.

Tobias V

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 07:34:31 am »
Hello djmacdo, thank you for answering me. Where exactly do you mean the wire edge?

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 12:09:46 pm »
Welcome to forum Tobias . Like I said to you before- If you compare your coin to CNG coin and another SBCV 2463 example , you may notice that the style is completely different  .
Regards,
Vlad .

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 12:49:55 pm »
The general appearance of your coin  judging  by  photos seems to be wrong  . But there another doubtful coin , which was sold back in 2015  by well established auction house. . The style seems similar to your coin . Maybe I’m wrong, but I believe this coin was discussed here on forum a few years ago , but I can’t find this topic . Waiting for an opinion from the more knowledgeable members .
Regards,
Vlad .

Tobias V

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 02:44:55 pm »
Okay thank you Vlad. There are a couple of good arguments. And I think you're right But hope dies last. Let's see what the experts say about it. Greetings Tobi

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 09:18:48 pm »
Feel the edge on the reverse.  Much of it is raised and sharp--that is typical of some cast coins, but unusual in struck pieces.

Tobias V

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 03:01:14 am »
If it is true, it is sharp. But she is only max. 1mm thick when I have it in the fair and totally convex! I have the option of driving them on work on unevenness in the μm (micrometer) range! If that is any further help to you! Greetings Tobi

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 07:50:26 am »
So thin, not cast.  That is good.

Tobias V

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 01:39:57 pm »

I let go of the coin on balance. As you can see it is 0.5mm balig. Is that an indication that the coin has been struck and not poured? Can you do any other test? greetings Tobi

Tobias V

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 02:04:32 pm »
Here's the coin in the caliper!

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 01:04:18 am »
I am dubious about this coin because of the style.   The fold hanging beneath the globus looks wrong. The lettering seems off, as well as the spacing of the legend.   The figure is not standing upright.

There has been a flood of rare late Paleologan silver basilikon coins that have come onto the market in recent years where the styles have been noticeably off.  If it was just one coin, maybe it could be explained away.  But there are quite a few.   Do a search for "basilikon" in the Byzantine forum.  I do not recall any strong condemnations, but instead a lot of skepticism.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 01:22:06 am »
Search on "basilik" on the Fake Coin Reports - there are plenty of fake basilica there, but generally with a different look from the present coin.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity