Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Archepolis hemiobol with owl reverse  (Read 706 times)

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
Archepolis hemiobol with owl reverse
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:39:49 pm »
I was pretty excited to finally identify this little hemiobol and doubly excited to find that it is important to understanding the history of Themistocles and Archepolis in Magnesia on the Maeander.

Obverse: Monogram of AP; Helmeted and bearded head of Leucippus (?)
Reverse: Monograms of AP - XE; Standing owl to left within dotted border
9 mm, 0.23 g; ca. 459 BCE

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7402

I am fairly certain I have the correct ID, but I wanted share my excitement of IDing this little guy. Interested to hear any of your thoughts.

Cheers,
Tim

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Archepolis hemiobol with owl reverse
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 04:26:35 pm »
Yes, your attribution is correct. Congratulations to this interesting coin  :).

There is an article by Johannes Nollé and Alois Wenninger about the coinage of Themistokles and Archepolis "Themistokles und Archepolis: Eine griechische Dynastie im Perserreich und ihre Münzprägung":
https://www.academia.edu/8316787/Themistokles_und_Archepolis_Eine_griechische_Dynastie_im_Perserreich_und_ihre_M%C3%BCnzpr%C3%A4gung_JNG_48_49_1998_1999_29_70_zusammen_mit_A_Wenninger_

If you can read German or use a translation program you can learn more about it.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
Re: Archepolis hemiobol with owl reverse
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 05:18:55 pm »
Thanks, Altamura! I will give Google translate a try on the article.

Cheers,
Tim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity