Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspect Byzantion tetradrachm  (Read 427 times)

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
Suspect Byzantion tetradrachm
« on: September 13, 2020, 12:08:59 pm »
Please take a look at this Lysimachos tetradrachm from Byzantion. Being sold by a dealer that has recently received attention for various suspect sales. The reason I have doubts is that the obverse not only appears to be a 'die match' for an example from The William Stancomb Collection that was sold by a different auction house last August, but seems to possess identical patterns of flow lines throughout. There are other features that concern me, such as a lack of crispness in the strike, but don't feel qualified to be certain.

Tetradrachm. In the name and types of Lysimachos, circa 75-65 BC. Byzantion. 15,66 g. 33 mm.
Obv: Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, with horn of Ammon.
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛΥΣΙΜΑΧΟΥ, Athena Nikephoros seated left, arm resting on shield, spear in background; ΑΔ monogram in left field, BY below throne, trident in exergue.
Callataӱ 1997, Groupe 3, p. 125, cf. D44-D53 (= Münz Zentrum sale 47, 1982, 59); HGC 3.2, 1406.

First image: coin in question
Second image: example from The William Stancomb Collection

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Suspect Byzantion tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 12:20:52 pm »
I don't know enough about this type to say something about the authenticity, but identical flow lines are possible. Flow lines are in the die, and coins which are produced at the same time should show the same flow lines.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Suspect Byzantion tetradrachm
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 12:15:31 am »
I see no reason for doubt.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS