Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A misdescribed Constantine bust type – radiate, raised hand, plus globe  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I just found the coin below (top B/W plate picture) in Gnecchi, never having seen it before due to this sole specimen being squirreled away in the Rome national museum. If anyone happens to have an actual photo, I’d love to see it!

The coin is RIC VI Trier 803, a 4.5 solidi medallion, and caught my attention because of the bust type which is misdescribed in RIC. RIC only has Constantine as “radiate, draped, cuirassed, r.raised”, omitting the “l.holding stonkin’ big globe”  ;D

This is a rare bust type for Constantine; the individual radiate, raised hand, and globe attributes are sometimes seen (although uncommon), but the combination, as here, only occurs on a few gold coins, of which this is the earliest, once in billion, and once in bronze.

The radiate crown, on Constantine’s coinage, seems to be an allusion to Sol, and the raised hand and globe (although not Sol-specific) also mirror the way Sol is portrayed.

We can see this rare bust type, in direct association with Sol, on a couple of other coins, below. The Siscia piece, RIC 25, dates to c.317 AD (after Constantine took this territory from Licinius), and replaces one solar crown with another (the nimbus). It nicely illustrates the mirroring of attributes with Sol.

The interesting “Trier billion” (20% silver) group, issued by Constantine, assigns a Sol quadriga reverse to Maximinus II, along with this corresponding bust type.

The only instance of this bust type being used on Constantine’s bronze coinage, that I can find/recall, is on a rare Victoriae Laetae obverse from London (more of which on another occasion!).

The dating of this medallion, RIC 801-808 group, seems a bit uncertain. RIC suggests a date of 309-310, coincident (as it happens) with Constantine’s coinage reform that introduced both the solidus standard and his Soli Invicto Comiti reverse type. The Trier billion coins may also date to the same time.

In addition to missing the globe, RIC also appears to misattribute RIC 803 as a 4-solidi piece, when 4.5 solidi seems more likely. RIC gives a weight, same as (or copying?) Gnecchi, of 19.2g, which is a bit lighter than other 4.5 solidi types that cluster around 19.9g, but still closer to 4.5 solidi (20.29g) than 4 (18.04g).

Ben

P.S. Trier billion group is from my collection.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: A misdescribed Constantine bust type – radiate, raised hand, plus globe
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 10:44:20 am »
I agree that the type is a clear an intentional Sol allusion.

Interestingly Maximinus has some previous Sol coinage before those Trier bullion coins.  He appeared on a minority of the early SOLI INVICTO COMITI type of Constantine I and also on the odd SOLI INVICTO type with Sol standing and holding the head of Sarapis.

But why he got the Sol style at trier is strange.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 12:39:24 pm »
Yes - interesting that Maximinus got the Sol type !

The possible date range for these billion coins is 310-313 - from when Maximinus became augustus to when he died. The most obvious introduction date would either be 310 as part of Constantine's coinage reform (solidus standard, 1/72 lb bronze reduction, new reverse type lineup), or perhaps 312-313 after defeating Maxentius. I tend to favor the earlier date - a logical time for a new "silver" denomination (at 20% silver, it must have been valued differently than the nummus, and per later reuse of same VLPP/Iovi reverse types as part of his 318 reform, it seems there was definitely a denominational/value association with these types).

The early 310 date may also help explain the Sol type being assigned to Maximinus, since he had just issued (as caesar) his own Sol-in-quadriga type from Antioch, and in 310 would then have his own coinage reform introducing his new Sol w/ head of Serapis, Iovi, Hercvli lineup plus continued Genio/Virtvs types.

Given Constantine's decision to assign emperor-specific types for this new denomination, and having assigned Iovi to Licinius (who wasn't giving him much else to work with!), then I guess Sol for Maximinus is really the only choice (Hercvli inappropriate, Genio/Virtvs too generic), other than breaking symmetry with Licinius and assigning Maximinus a novel type such as the VLPP he gave himself.

It's possible that the solidus standard and billion denomination may have slightly preceded Constantine's bronze reform and SOLI introduction, else if they were coincident then at least Constantine would seem not to have yet self-identified with his new "comes" Sol so strongly that it stopped him giving Sol to Maximinus.

The VLPP type Constantine assigned himself seems to be celebrating generic ongoing victories rather than any specific one (such as defeat of Maxentius), and the "PRINCIPI PERPETVA" may have been intended as the focus just as much as the "VICTORIAE LAETAE", especially given Constantine's notable ongoing use of "PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS". Certainly the later reintroduction of VLPP in 318 supports the idea of these being generic ongoing victories rather than anything specific, and therefore no need to consider this in trying to determine the date when this denomination was introduced.

Ben

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
This is a great little thread, Ben!

I agree of course that the radiate crowns on Constantine's busts (both in gold and bronze) must be an allusion to Sol, but this begs the question of why it occurs so rarely/sporadically. Given Constantine's preoccupation with Sol, I would have thought that the radiate crown would be a more frequent/consistent feature of his busts. Instead, it seems to only appear consistently on:

- Iovi Conservatori issues at some mints (e.g. Antioch); and
- Some of the mid-320s Beata issues for the young princes.

Elsewhere, the radiate turns up almost at random. For example, I've never understood why there is only a single VOT XX issue (oddly for both Constantine and Licinius, and their sons) from Ticinum which features a radiate bust (my rather cruddy example below). Why not the other mints? And why is the Ticinum issue so rare? Was it minting halted early for some reason?

Rome is another example. Salem recently posted a beautiful half-follis with a radiate bust (RIC 360) (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=72152.0). Yet the contemporaneous PACI PERPET half-follis does not feature it. 

Thoughts/comments? I actually find the Ticinum Vota issue a bit exasperating; I can't figure out why the radiate crown is featured and RIC seems to be silent on the issue!

Evan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Hi Evan !

Constantine's only occasional use of his comes Sol's radiate crown is maybe to be expected given parallels such as Aurelian's association with Sol and sporadic use of the radiate crown, or perhaps the tetratchic Iovi/Hercvli associations but only occasional use of corresponding attributes. A variety of bust types also allowed a greater variety of message to be be given via the coinage.

Not all of the radiate crowns on Consantne's coinage are meant to invoke Sol - there are a couple of cases where it's meant as a denominational marker, as it had been previously for the dupondius (double as) and antoninianus (double denarius). Below are the two examples of this, first on the Alexandrian post-reforrm radiate - the last use of it as a "double laureate" marker.

The second example is the Iovi you referred to, on the totally debased coinage Licinius had introduced c.321, not too long after having played along with Constantine and supported his new-fangled silver-rich centionalalis of c.318. Licinius's new Iovi type was evidentially a new denomination, having zero silver content, and valued at 12 1/2 denarii communes per it's marking (i.e.. 1/2 the value of the centenionalis which Constantine continued to issue and presumably continued to circulate in Licinius's territory). The radiate crown was consistently used on this new denomination at all Licinius' mints (Heraclea, Cyzicus, Nicomedia, Antioch and Alexandria), and presumably served as as a denomination marker as it had done on the dupondius and antoninianus.

The VIrt Exercit Gall fraction is an interesting one. Given that it was a different denomination to Paci Perpet (16/24 denarii communes vs 12/24 denarii communes, i.e. 2/3 vs 1/2 nummus), it's possible that it's also being used there as a denominational marker/differentiator. However, given Constantine's use of definitely solar radiate busts in his run up to the war, and the presumably mostly Sol Invictus and Mithraic loyalties of the army, I'd be more inclined to think that on a type "Virt Exercit Gall", honoring the army, it's more likely meant to be solar, and regardless of intention I'd guess that's how it'd have been perceived at the time.

The use of the radiate crown on the Ticinum VOT XX, and other usage on the bronze coinage c.320, seems to be a last hurrah for Sol who had already disappeared on the bronze coinage a year or two prior. Why Ticinum only at Constantine's mints? It seems to be echoing a late appearance of Sol on the gold coinage of Tiicinum at that date (same type also at Sirmium, which was not issuing bronze at the time). Off the top of my head I'm not sure why Ticinum might  have been issuing that solidus type at that date, but the gold coinage followed a different pattern to the bronze, with mintage and types following the emperor, so there may be a reason there. After this "last hurrah" at Ticinum, Sol disappears from the coinage entirely other than an exceptional appearance on a solidus at Antioch in 324, seemingly in celebration of this new-to-Constantine terrritory.

Ben

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
I am nothing if not obnoxiously persistent. In my spare time (which has been wanting lately) I've been trying to hunt out a good reason for issuing a vota follis with a radiate crown at Ticinum...

A few facts:

1. All of the rulers and caesars (including Constantine, his offspring, and the Licinii) have parallel vota issues featuring the radiate crown.

2. Most of the coins featuring the radiate crown bear the mintmark  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: / PT.

3. Crispus is recorded as having a single radiate vota bearing only mintmark PT (RIC 149)

4. The radiates are quite rare, suggesting that they weren't minted for very long.

Bruun assigns the :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: / PT mintmark to 320, and the mintmark PT to 320-321. Bruun's reasoning for this is not clear to me. Based on Bruun's own general reasoning that increasingly complex mintmarks indicate time progression, it would seem to me that PT should precede :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>:/PT. Consequently, our mystery radiate follis should have been minted slightly later than Bruun considered, perhaps to the end 321.  In any event, the existence of RIC 149 at least suggests that PT and :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: / PT were adjacent issues.

The next interesting data point involves the next mintmark identified by Bruun:  :dot:/PT, which he assigns to 321-2. Interestingly, this mintmark is the first at Ticinum to not feature any of the Licinii, who disappear from the coins of Ticinum forever. Further, I have located on Wildwinds an interesting coin bearing this mintmark (below) and featuring Constantine I in consular garb. This bust type is completely unattested for at Ticinum in this period.

I note that Trier was minting coins with the same bust from 321 to 323. So, is it possible that the :dot:/PT mark was also minted slightly later than Bruun suggests (for example, from 322-3)?  If so, the sudden absence of the Licinii might be more easily explained than it was in Bruun's original chronology: tensions were now rising between Licinius and Constantine (for example, Constantine had ventured into Licinius' territory during his Sarmatian campaign in the summer of 322). Moreover, if the :dot: / PT mintmark was being used later than Bruun thought, then it follows that the preceding mintmarks may also have been used slightly later than Bruun thought. At the high end of guestimating, this could drag our mystery radiate to 322 rather than the 320 originally suggested by Bruun.

Essentially, I've suggested above that our mystery radiate may have been minted a bit later than Bruun suggests. I'm not entirely sure where that leaves us though. The only events I can think of in 321-322ish that might warrant the use of radiates for both Augusti and their caesars would be the fact that Constantine, Licinius and Licinius II all celebrated quindecennalia/quinquennalia during this period. Or perhaps Ticinum was just eager to celebrate the Sarmatian campaign and didn't realize that Licinius may not have been equally thrilled by it (and hence the mint quickly halted production of the coins and then took a pause in minting any coins, explaining the absence of the sarmatia devicta series at Ticinum)?

I'm sure this is all wrong, but I'm very curious to learn what you think. I'm sure that I would have been assisted by Bruun's "The System of the Vota Coinages" but I'm afraid it's not available online.

Evan

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Bruun's "The System of the Vota Coinages" was first published in NNÅ (1956),
and reprinted in "Studies in Constantinian Numismatics" (1991).

Pekka K

ps. I have both versions.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The dating on the Ticinum radiate bust issue (star in center) is pretty constrained. It seems it has to be the first VOT XX issue at Ticinum, and date to 319 or 320 (most likely the latter).

There were a total of five Ticinum VOT XX issues, which seem to be ordered per attached pic (coins from my coll.). The last */u issue is unlisted, but I've seen two other specimens from different dies so it seems to be legit. The unlisted consular bust actually belongs to the 2nd issue, not the one with dot as the issue mark (#3, below).

The dating is constrained by noting that the VOT V to VOT X transition happens during the 2nd PT issue; the star-in-center issue is VOT V (vs VOT X) only, so has to come first. The date constraint comes from comparing to Rome. At Rome we have four VOT XX issues, starting with Eros and ending with palms. At Rome the VOT V to VOT X transition (which is also when the Licinii disappear) happens during the 2nd issue (RP undecorated wreath), which is sandwiched by two issues having consular busts. The Eros issue has a consular bust for Constantine I (RIC 227 - though I've never actually seen one), and the decorated wreath issue has consular busts both for Constantine I (unlisted) and Constantine II (RIC 244). The only consulships for Constantine I and II who's dates align are in 320 when we have C1 COS VI, C2 COS I. The earlier Eros consular bust must be either for C1 COS V (319), or again COS VI (320); I expect it was 320 since otherwise the preceding Rome P-R issues seem too compressed.

So, by noting the Ticinum star-in-wreath issue is VOT V only, and VOT V (at Rome, and assuming Ticinum is the same, which I do) is constrained to 319-320 (or 320) we have the date.

BTW the Rome coins below are also mine - I've illustrated the decorated wreath issue with an unlisted Trabea Consularis bust, but there is also one with eagle-tipped-sceptre. The reason I've shown 2 coins for the decorated wreath issue is just to note the style transition, and also what I believe is the ordering - from more complex decorations ("3 pizzas", not shown) to least complex ("1 flower at top, with wraps on sides").

Note that although the radiate bust on VOT XX is unique to Ticinum, the star - which I believe goes hand-in-hand - is not. We also see star as a "significant issue mark" on early VOT XX issues at Thessalonica and then later in 324 at Heraclea. I believe these are all same thing - vestigial references to Constantine's association with Sol, as is the following star that is ubiquitous on his campgates.

There is still the issue of why does Ticinum alone have the radiate bust, doubling down on the Sol association? The best I can suggest here is the connection to the gold coinage, which followed the presence of the Constantine. I'd certainly be interested to hear any other theories!

Ben

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Thanks for the detailed lesson, Ben, that was fascinating! I imagine the Bruun article referenced above would have led me in the right direction, so I'll be ordering a copy of "Studies in Constantinian Numismatics" in the near future.

Evan

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I recently finished an interesting book - Dominique Hollard and Fernando Lopez Sanchez' Le Chrisme et le Phenix: Images monetaires et mutations ideologies au IVe siecle, Ausonius, Scripta Antiqua 63, 2014.

It looks at 4th century iconography, in particular coinage, from Constantine through to Theodosius I

Among other things, they look the Constantinian "visions" and stars and chi-rhos (le chrisme).  Their conclusions are not unique, but are well argued.  CI's adoption of Sol imagery in 310 was largely political - his rejection of the Tetrarchic order for a sole rule/family dynastic system necessitated the rejection of the Tetrarchic division into Jovians and Herculians.  CI didn't want to fix his wagon to either existing Tetrarchic "side" so looked back to create a "Claudius II was my ancestor and Sol was our protector" origin myth.  The resulted in the adoption of not only Sol coin types but of course solar imagery more widely - often seen as a star.

They look at 312 with the question - who would CI have said was his protector at Milvian Bridge? - and assess that the clear answer would have been Sol.  Of course that would have slowly merged with and changed to God and Christ but that was definitely not the case in 312.  They see the star over the campmates of 324-330 as a solar symbol and don't see unambiguous Christian symbols until the SPES PVBLICA of 327.

Interestingly, they also note that the nimbus or halo was simply one of the options for frontal portrayal of the radiate crown and did not have a clear Christian connotation at first.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 02:10:25 pm »
I haven't read that book - really should do - but I've been continually disappointed by books on Constantine (worst being Odahl's "Constantine and the Christian Empire", which presents itself as a biography but is closer to a panegyric or apologia). It seems too many authors have an axe to grind and let that get in the way of an unbiased presentation.

I'm not sure I would agree with lumping Constantine's hitching himself to Sol together with his invented Claudian ancestry, although it's true they do occur around the same time in 310, when a panegyrist mentions both his "vision of Apollo" (commonly understood to be his witnessing "sun dogs"), and his ancestral relation of which "most people, perhaps, are still unaware" (Nixon: The Panegyrici Latini, p.219).

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+dogs  (click on "Images" to see many examples)

The argument, I suppose, is that on the death of Maximianus in 309-310, who had elevated Constantine to augustus, that his legitimacy was looking a bit shakey, so he wanted to buttress it not only with other (invented) imperial ties, but also the divine recognition of Apollo (no mention in the panegyric of Sol Invictus, so maybe it precedes his coinage reform).

I'm not sure that the invented Claudian ancestry was necessarily, at least initially, meant as the basis of dynastic ambitions since in 310 that would seem rather over-presumptuous, and the recent (and painful to many) death of Maximianus seems to provide a better, more timely, explanation. It's not obvious how widely this Claudian ancestry was pushed, or who he was really appealing to, since it doesn't seem to have been widely disseminated. It's only later in 318-319, on the "Memoriae Aeternae" and "Reqvies Optimorvm Meritorvm" coins that we see Claudius, and a rehabilitated Maximianus (who it was claimed tried to have Constantine murdered), being used in what may be interpreted as dynastic fashion. In 318, as opposed to 310, with victories over Maxentius and Licinius, and sons elevated to caesar, dynastic ambitions seem more reasonable, but this is now well after the ancestry had been invented and so does not provide proximal cause for it.

The most interesting one of Constantine's "Claudian ancestry" coins is the unlisted one below, now in Berlin, where Claudius II is afforded the special reverse "Memoriae Rest" (restituted memory). This coin is from Zschuckes's "Die Bronze-Teilstück-Prägungen der römischen Münzstätte Trier" featuring his diseased friend Dieter Alten's collection from Trier, which Zschucke published after his death (dedicated friend!) and donated to Berlin.

I see no reason why we can't simply explain Constantine's adoption of Sol Invictus on his coinage as reaction to to his "vision of Apollo" (i.e sun dogs), and his personal beliefs. There are a number of hints that he was quite superstitious, as well as evidentially religious (perhaps more sincere than some), so to me it seems quite reasonable that he might react to this "sign from god" (the basis of his pre-battle hoc-signo dream in 312) in a personal way by adopting Sol as his comes (Apollo being too provincial) and protector. This belief in protection by Sol seems to have been quite genuine, and as we've already noted he seems to have been reluctant to give up on it altogether until very late in his reign, despite his shifting religious beliefs.

The halo/nimbus was certainly not a Christian invention - we see it on Roman coins at least as early as Vespasian (in radiate halo form) and closer to Constantine on the "plomb de Lyons" (BnF) showing the seated tetrarchs with nimbii (plural?) behind their heads, the same way later byzantine emperors are depicted.

I've also attached another ex. Dieter Alten coin, which I'm proud to own, below. This is a Qvies Avgg fraction (RIC VI Trier 841b) for Maximianus, before he came out of retirement and started Constantine's familial problems!

Ben

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 11:41:25 pm »

Note that although the radiate bust on VOT XX is unique to Ticinum, the star - which I believe goes hand-in-hand - is not. We also see star as a "significant issue mark" on early VOT XX issues at Thessalonica and then later in 324 at Heraclea. I believe these are all same thing - vestigial references to Constantine's association with Sol, as is the following star that is ubiquitous on his campgates.

To this point, it's worth noting that the use of the star could also have been understood in some quarters as a Christian reference (or a syncretic symbol common to both followers of Sol and Christians). I note for example the attached fabric fragment from Egypt featuring a series of crux ansatas and assorted other Christians symbols. It's housed in the V&A: https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O119197/textile-fragment-unknown/

Just a thought!

Evan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 10:03:05 am »
I hadn't thought of Constantine's later stars in that way, but certainly a possibility. This seems to be the story of religious symbols on Constantine's coinage - a somewhat gradual shift, while trying to appeal to both Christian and traditional sensibilities.

I'm not sure of the timeline of when a star would be been used and recognized as a Christian symbol. There's an interesting usage slightly earlier by Maxentius on his Conserv Vrb Save coins from Aquileia, RIC 121a, where there is a consistent/deliberate pairing of different temple pediment symbols per officina. Officina "P" has star "*", officina "S" has a cross in either "+" or "x" form, and officina  :Greek_Gamma: has  :crescent:. This stongly suggests that the meaning of the star, at this time, is being differentiated from "+"/"x". As they say, history is written by the winners, and I would tend to see these "+"/"x" used by Maxentius as an indication of Christian acceptance by the "tyrant".

That textile fragment about says it all - an awful lot going on there !

Ben

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 04:59:00 pm »
Lovely 6-pointed stars, with dots on end, on these two Roman bowls.

This type of decoration is often said to be a chi-rho and an indication of Christianity.

However, that is entirely untrue.  It is common design on Rhaetian fine ware from the late second to mid third century with no link to Christianity.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity