Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine Seal of Kallistos Patrikios same boulloterion? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Kallistos Patrikios same boulloterion?  (Read 52 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: September 09, 2020, 02:35:22 pm »

I was fortunate enough to obtain a very nice seal of  Kallistos Patrikios.  It measures 26 mm and weighs 19.89 g.  In researching my new purchase, I think I identified another seal from the same boulloterion in the collection of Dumbarton Oaks.  What is your opinion? My seal is shown first and the DO specimen BZS.1958.106.4514
 is below it   Pogh_poor

* patrikios1s.jpg (92.08 KB, 483x480 - viewed 28 times.)

* patrikios4.jpg (102.16 KB, 524x480 - viewed 28 times.)

* KP.jpg (63.49 KB, 640x428 - viewed 2 times.)

* kp01.jpg (68.9 KB, 640x428 - viewed 2 times.)

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:30:08 am »

Though it can never been known for sure, given the dating of the seal, this Kallistos could have been the Kallistos who was one of the  42 Martyrs of Amorium (Greek: οἰ ἅγιοι μβ′ μάρτυρες τοῦ Ἀμορίου) who were a group of Byzantine senior officials taken prisoner by the Abbasid Caliphate in the Sack of Amorium in 838 and executed in 845, after refusing to convert to Islam. They are commemorated by the Eastern Orthodox Church on March 6. Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine Seal of Kallistos Patrikios same boulloterion? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop