Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Kallistos Patrikios same boulloterion?  (Read 668 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Kallistos Patrikios same boulloterion?
« on: September 09, 2020, 04:35:22 pm »
I was fortunate enough to obtain a very nice seal of  Kallistos Patrikios.  It measures 26 mm and weighs 19.89 g.  In researching my new purchase, I think I identified another seal from the same boulloterion in the collection of Dumbarton Oaks.  What is your opinion? My seal is shown first and the DO specimen BZS.1958.106.4514
 is below it   Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine Seal of Kallistos Patrikios same boulloterion?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »
Though it can never been known for sure, given the dating of the seal, this Kallistos could have been the Kallistos who was one of the  42 Martyrs of Amorium (Greek: οἰ ἅγιοι μβ′ μάρτυρες τοῦ Ἀμορίου) who were a group of Byzantine senior officials taken prisoner by the Abbasid Caliphate in the Sack of Amorium in 838 and executed in 845, after refusing to convert to Islam. They are commemorated by the Eastern Orthodox Church on March 6. Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity