Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze disease?  (Read 820 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Bronze disease?
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:59:33 am »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
Acquired a batch of coins from an auction - being a freshman in this area, I find that studying and identifying coins extremely exciting (although I still ask for help in this forum when I am stuck)

From the last batch, 2 coins have a green deposit - could you please confirm if this is bronze disease and if this is possible to be removed? Or in fact, if it needs removing.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
Re: Bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 11:20:17 am »
Judging just by these photos.

I donĀ“t see bronze disease
But:
Patina on first coin may be artificial which then may hint to a forgery (although being e very common coin)

Regards
Klaus

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:36:33 am »
i agree with Klaus
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:43:59 am »
Thanks gentlemen.
In this case I will leave them alone.
Even the Nero coin is OK?
Washed it a little with hot water and soap and the deposit started to come out (barely) using a toothpick - but i don't want to ruin the coin by scratching it, even if it's in poor conservation I like it.

If you think that the green deposit doesn't harm the coin in any way I will leave it as it is.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »
I don't think it is BD and I don't think it is a sign of forgery either (although it could be an indication of that in other cases). 

I believe it is the result of a type of chemical cleaning where the light green is the only remains of the original patina.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity