Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I, as caesar, Adventvs Avgg  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Constantine I, as caesar, Adventvs Avgg
« on: September 06, 2020, 12:14:00 pm »
I was very pleased to recently acquire this coin via a trade with another collector.

At first glance you might think it's just Constantine's usual Adventvs type from c.312, rounding up troops ready to battle Maxentius, but in fact it's almost the opposite ...

Obv: FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C
Rev: ADVENTVS AVGG

This is RIC VI London 82, and is very scarce. At the time RIC VI was written in 1967 the authors could only refer to a cast in Vienna. The BM subsequently acquired a specimen in 1983 (in somewhat similar condition to mine). I'm only aware of two other specimens, in private collections, although presumably a few more are out there.

The RIC VI Notes for London say "Constantine's Adventvs Avgg, known only from a cast, needs confirmation; if authentic, its meaning is not clear".

The coin is dated by RIC to "summer 307", but a more accurate date might be sometime between 7/25/307 when Maximianus was recognized as senior Augustus by Constantine, and before 12/25/307 when Constantine married Maximianus's daughter Fausta and was himself elevated to Augustus.

Depeyrot's chronology for this time period has:

7/25/306 Constantine's father dies (in York, Britain, with Constantine by his side)

Summer 306 Constantine (evidentially now back in Gaul) battles the Franks and Bructeri

8/25/306 Maxentius usurps in Rome

March/April 307 Maxmianus engages Severus II (attempting to reclaim Rome for Galerius) at Ravenna

March/April 307 Maximianus departs to Gaul (to forge alliance with Constantine)

7/25/307 Maximianus recognized as senior Augustus by Constantine

12/25/307 Constantine marries Fausta, and is himself evelated to Augustus by Maximianus

This Adventvs type, with plural Avgg, seems to pair/coincide with a another London type with plural reverse, Victoria Avgg (unlisted in RIC, Downside hoard #34, now in Somerset museum, UK), known only for Maximianus.

The adventus, and plural "avgg" (RIC: "meaning is not clear") would appear to refer to a joint adventus of Constantine and Maximianus, most likely after (or on occasion of) Constantine's recognition of Maximianus as senior augustus (as per his title on the Victoria Avgg type). What's unclear is where this adventus occurred, but it seems that Gaul (Trier) is probably more likely than Britain, and London was just propagating the news.

As I said, almost the opposite of Constantine's later Adventvs type ... here celebrating his alliance with Maximianus (& Maxentius), then later rounding up troops to go after Maxentius, with Maximianus already having chosen the honorable way out!

Ben

P.S. For anyone curious, here (from a 14yr old post!) is the coin I traded to get this one ... beauty for history !

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=33846.0

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Constantine I, as caesar, Adventvs Avgg
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 12:25:56 pm »
great reverse
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:34:16 am »
Thanks, oki !

Kind of quiet around here ... where did all the LRB fans go ?!

Ben

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:05:57 am »
Hi Ben

Yours is the tenth example I know of. It was found in the St Albans area of the UK and sold on EBay in 2012.

My records show 6.91g and 24.7 mm and it was found on November 30 in 2012.

The reference I have is BH-716546 which is the PAS reference that gives Redbourn as the findspot.

https://finds.org.uk/database/search/results/q/BH-716546

Incidentally the LMCC reference is CT 5.03.005 but that is sadly out of date now, as it only lists five published examples all struck from the same reverse die.

Best wishes

Lee

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:31:55 am »
Hi Lee,

That's awesome - thanks !

Great to be able to connect it back to it's provenance, and I'm happy it was reported via the PAS.

The collector I traded it with is in Switzerland, so that's all I know about its travels since 2012, but you can't get much better than an original find report as provenance.

Ben

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 07:06:06 am »
A lovely looking coin with a really well executed reverse. A coin worth waiting for.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 06:38:35 pm »
Huhh, Ben  😉

Great piece, very interesting 👍

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection