Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cast Lead Soldier? or Other  (Read 464 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Cast Lead Soldier? or Other
« on: August 22, 2020, 09:37:39 pm »
Hi, all.  I always thought of this object as a Roman soldier, but looking closely now I am not sure.  The long leg and lack of boot made me wonder if it could have been an anguipede, but the upper body does not look muscular enough compared to other representations I have seen.  Then I thought maybe Virtus, but there is no bare breast or other suggestion of female attributes.  If this is a chiton rather than a tunic, could it be Diana/Artemis?  The attire is quite distinctively detailed, but I am not familiar enough with the styles to tell exactly what it is.  Likewise I am not sure if the design on the upper chest is meant to be an aegis.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

BCC L27
Cast Lead Figure
Uncertain Date
Solid cast lead figure of a Roman soldier?,
draped and cuirassed? with short tunic.  
The remaining leg is bent and twisted, so
what looks like a seam could just be from
the top edge of a one-piece, open mold.
Surface find from the beach south
of Caesarea Maritima.
3.25 x 1.1 x 0.35cm. 4.47gm.

(click for larger pics)