Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mums given me her old coins  (Read 865 times)

Alistair G

Mums given me her old coins
« on: August 12, 2020, 11:46:11 pm »
Greetings I need ID help for some of her coin collection.
coin1
specs 3mm x 33.8mm 18gram
One side looks like Emperor Napoleon either 1806 with virtually indistinct 1 or 806 all distinctive.
Converse is Britannia of the Sea

coin2
specs 1.7mm x 27.5mm 6gm
Very indistinctive, I would like to clean this to see if I could improve, if you cant see then I assume nothing lost?

Last one is identifiable, understand it should be worth around $US280 but any suggestions?
coin3
mark is a depression in middle, possibly some stamp
specs 2.5mm x 34mm 16gm

many thanks for advice.
Al.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Mums given me her old coins
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 01:12:58 am »
#1 is a British halfpenny of George III.   BRITANNIA on the reverse is the dead giveaway.

#2 is Irish, based on the harp on the reverse.  Probably also a halfpenny of George III.

#3 not sure but obviously some type of token, but I'm not familiar with them

Craig

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:12:42 am »

Iredale token -  Sydney, colony of New South Wales
https://www.coinsandaustralia.com/tokens-articles-australia.php?article=iredale-&-co.,-sydney,-ironmongers,-new-south-wales&id=13
https://collections.museumsvictoria.com.au/items/54307

Issued by Iredale & Co. Iron Merchants & Ironmongers, in Sydney. Transported to Australia in 1812 and later emancipated Lancelot Iredale, founded an Ironmongery firm in 1820.

Type One was their first issue and is the only one with the Britannia reverse.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 04:43:07 am »
How can you say the profile on #1 looks like Napoleon?! On a 1 Franc coin of 1806 you can see Napoleon, very different! The reverse imitates the Roman sestertii of Antoninus Pius with Britannia seated on rock.

Alistair G

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 07:55:14 pm »
#1 is a British halfpenny of George III.   BRITANNIA on the reverse is the dead giveaway.

#2 is Irish, based on the harp on the reverse.  Probably also a halfpenny of George III.

Craig

Thanks a lot it helped esp with coin # 1

All coins are guaranteed for eternity