Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Could somebody please help me identify this coin please?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Allison M

• Legionary
Could somebody please help me identify this coin please?
« on: August 02, 2020, 02:09:43 pm »
Hi I apologise for the poor condition of this coin could anyone help me identify it with age please Many Thanks

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
Re: Could somebody please help me identify this coin please?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 05:08:03 pm »
Can you post a closer image that is clearer?

It appears your coin has a central tower... but I cannot make out what is to the left and right of the tower...

Can make out any of the letters around the outside?

Also please take a pic of the other side please.

Offline Allison M

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:34:53 pm »
Hi there Thank you for taking the time to reply I have uploaded two more photos one zoomed in on face and the reverse  Thanks again - Allison

Offline Allison M

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »
 the coin is very poor and very dark here are a couple more photos - Tacitus if you notice this I thought a tower at first too but now that I have taken my magnifying glass to it I wonder if it is a letter "L"? Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to help

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 08:16:44 pm »
Hi AM,

Yes, I agree that it is a letter "L". It is oriented correctly because the cross in the legend is at the 12:00 position.

On Medieval coins, many times, a letter "L" implies "Ludovicus" or "Louis".

I don't clearly see a lily on your coin. If it had one or more, I would suspect France.

Meepzorp

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 05:24:08 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on August 19, 2020, 08:16:44 pm

I don't clearly see a lily on your coin. If it had one or more, I would suspect France.

Meepzorp

There appears to be a fleur de  lis above the L which might indicate a French connection. I know nothing about the coin itself though.

Alex

Offline Allison M

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 12:09:57 pm »
Thank you so much for your replies I will go and research the "L" further I really appreciate your help

Allison

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »
Hi AM,

The object to the left of the "L" appears to be some sort of flower.

Another identifying feature of this coin is that, on the reverse, the cross goes through the legend. It doesn't end at the legend. This is known as a "long cross" or an "intersecting cross".

As Alex mentioned, the object above the "L" may be a lily. But I don't think it is clear enough to say definitively. If it is a lily, it would usually imply France.

Meepzorp

Offline Allison M

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 07:20:00 pm »
Thanks Meepzorp, I agree that the object to the left looks like a flower (I remember reading that this type of flower was particular to a french sovereign but I can't remember which one and can't find it again now!!). I have been unable to find an exact match but I figure it is a Louis xii (or ludovicus) Dizain of some sort - I kind of feel that it may be an early edition but thanks to you and the others  for sending me in the right direction I thought it was french but had no more info than that.  I will keep at it though- I don't like to be beat  :laugh:  Thanks again
Allison

All coins are guaranteed for eternity