Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Found Roman mosiac floor and Roman ship prow  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Found Roman mosiac floor and Roman ship prow
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:38:18 am »
Noticed these two articles and want to share
https://news.yahoo.com/coal-mine-serbia-gives-roman-112926966.html
 excavator cutting through the coal rich soil had pulled out some muddy timber weeks before, but coronavirus restrictions had meant the retrieval had to wait.

The ship was part of Viminacium, a sprawling Roman city of 45,000 people with a hippodrome, fortifications, a forum, palace, temples, amphitheatre, aqueducts, baths and workshops.

Lead archaeologist Miomir Korac said the vessel dated from the 3rd century AD when Viminacium was the capital of the Roman province of Moesia Superior and near a tributary of the Danube river.

"A Roman (river) fleet was based here to defend this region from barbarian invasions," he told Reuters. "Such findings of Roman ships are really rare, especially in such a good condition where one could see how the boat was built."

The ship originally measured 19 meters. It had a flat bottom, six pairs of oars and fittings for a triangular sail. The nine-metre front section had thick wooden sides and was discovered along with the remains of two smaller boats.
And

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52818746
A Roman mosaic floor has been discovered under a vineyard in northern Italy after decades of searching.

Surveyors in the commune of Negrar di Valpolicella north of Verona published images of the well-preserved tiles buried under metres of earth.

According to officials, scholars first found evidence of a Roman villa there more than a century ago.

Technicians are still gently excavating the site to see the full extent of the ancient building.

Images posted online show the pristine mosaic as well as foundations of the villa

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Found Roman mosiac floor and Roman ship prow
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:05:55 am »
I never made it to Viminacium when I lived in Europe.  But in researching it I saw it already has a great museum and when the boat is added one day....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Found Roman mosiac floor and Roman ship prow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:59:47 pm »
The few pics I've seen of the mosaic floor are amazing.  Hope they can do more work there.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity