Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arslan citation needed  (Read 971 times)

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Arslan citation needed
« on: July 15, 2020, 09:49:35 pm »
I have another that appears to be unpublished but may be in a new work which I don't yet own.

M. Arslan, Galatya Krallığı ve Roma dönemi Ankyra şehir sikkeleri - The Coins of Galatian Kingdom and the Roman Coinage of Ancyra in Galatia (Ankara, 2004)

Galatia, Ankyra. Caracalla. A.D. 198-217. AE 24 (23.8 mm, 8.90 g, 1 h). ANTΩNEINOC AYΓOYCTOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Caracalla right, seen from behind / ACKΛH CΩTH ICOΠV, ANKVPAC MHT, agonistic prize crown containing two palm fronds; five apples above. Unpublished in standard references. See SNG France 2496 for similar reverse legend. Black patina with earthen highlights. VF.

Thanks again for your help,

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Arslan citation needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:53:49 pm »
*BUMP* Curtis Clay?
Tom Mullally

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:07:03 pm »
Not in Arslan, as far as I can see. The closest is Arslan 153, probably a die match with Paris 2496 that you cite, in better condition (VF).

That doesn't mean the coin was unknown to Arslan, however. His book is not a corpus, just a catalogue with every coin described and illustrated of the Ancyran holdings of the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ancyra, Berlin, Munich, and coll. P.R. Franke.
Curtis Clay

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:57:32 pm »
Hi Curtis,

Thank you for the clarification.  I'll have to wait until this volume of RPC comes out (hopefully next year) and add it.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Mullally

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 02:32:29 pm »
Could I impose on you for one more Aslan citation?  (It's not the prettiest coin, I admit, but it does seem to be rare.)

Galatia, Ankyra. Caracalla. A.D. 198-217. AE 24 (23.8 mm, 8.72 g, 1 h). ANTΩNEINOC AYΓOY, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Caracalla right, seen from behind / MHTPOΠOΛE ANKYPAC / ICOΠYΘIA, AΓΩN, agonistic prize crown containing palm frond and five balls, inscribed. BMC 26; SNG France 2515-16 var. (crown not inscribed). Black patina with earthen highlights, scratches on obverse. Fine.

Thanks again,
Tom
Tom Mullally

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 03:49:23 pm »
Arslan B88 (Berlin coll.) is like yours but obv. legend is ANTΩNIN - OC ΠIOC AVΓ.

Are you sure yours shows ANTΩNEINOC AYΓOY?
Curtis Clay

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 03:57:04 pm »
Thanks again.  No, I'm not certain of the obverse legend.  I'll trust Arslan's legends over my own.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Mullally

All coins are guaranteed for eternity