Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification help please  (Read 1069 times)

Georgie Y

Identification help please
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:22:39 am »
9 cm long flat  iron arrow spear javelin head
Poss roman ?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Identification help please
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:07:06 pm »
How thick?  It could just be a piece of iron broken into a familiar shape unless of some substantial thickness tapered toward the edges.

Georgie Y

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 12:50:31 pm »
Hi thankyou for the reply it is quite thick and heavy , and it’s location was remote ironstone rural fields . Weight 64 grams thickness 4mm . Thankyou

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:28:24 am »
Thick and heavy, good!  Then it is likely to be a weapon head, though I do not know the age.  Perhaps someone else can make a suggestion.

Georgie Y

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 08:28:51 am »
Really !! Thankyou very much I thought it looked like an ancient weapon head of some sort ?? But don’t know what ?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:00 am »
Due to its size and weight, I doubt it would be any kind of arrowhead.  Assuming it is from a weapon, a spear point seems a likely possibility.

Craig

Georgie Y

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:23:58 pm »
Hi there yes more likely spear , maybe for spearing wild boar !
But do you think it looks definitely weapon like and not agricultural ?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 11:33:25 pm »
IMO, I think it definitely looks "weapon like".  The triangular shape seems purposeful, and the "stem" (not sure if that's correct) between your finger seems perfectly suited to attaching to the notch at the end of the shaft.

Georgie Y

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 03:28:50 am »
  😃👍🏻  I thought so too ,  Thankyou for your thoughts

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 06:51:05 am »
A key to determining what it was for is the thickness and angles - and this is not visible from the images. 

You say flat, it is completely flat?  Does it slope to one side or another?  Does it have central ridge?  Sharper edges?

It could be a piece of scarp with an interesting shape, javelin head, spear head tip or sword blade tip.

But spear or javelin would require that it have a slight diamond-shaped profile.  Sword a slightly rounded or lenticular profile.  If truly flat then I doubt it is from a weapons.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity