Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: Danny S. Jones)  |  Topic: When is a Variant a New Coin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When is a Variant a New Coin  (Read 177 times)
Tacitus
Caesar

« on: July 26, 2020, 04:45:47 pm »

I see a lot of coins listed as variants of other coins.   Some seem to be completely different... Other times I see coins listed as different RIC or MER-RIC numbers yet seem to be almost identical.

So what makes a coin a variant and what makes it a different coin?
*Alex
Procurator Caesaris
Quaestor
Caesar

Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 06:03:52 pm »

The authors of the reference work concerned. Either the variant was unknown to the authors or the authors felt that the difference wasn't significant enough to warrant a separate reference number. Bear in mind that many of the reference works we use today were compiled many years ago before the digital age.

Alex

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:44 pm »

For me a variant should be from the same mint and issue. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
dwarf
Praetorian

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:10:02 pm »

There is a nice paper on this problem available on academia.eu

This link leads to the short English abstract
https://tinyurl.com/yxdlkj6y

This link to the download
https://tinyurl.com/y25n3ena

Have a nice day
Klaus

Altamura
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:50:26 am »

... There is a nice paper on this problem available on academia.eu ...
I had it already on my hard disk for a while and now finally read it  Smiley, thanks for the hint.

Cumbersome work to analyze that  Undecided, but what a terminological mess  Smiley.

Regards

Altamura

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: Danny S. Jones)  |  Topic: When is a Variant a New Coin « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop