Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help identify an iron coin  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Layne Y

• Legionary
Please help identify an iron coin
« on: September 10, 2020, 08:14:53 pm »
I have a coin. It appears to be made of iron. It is slightly larger than a U.S. nickel. It has a barely discernible image of a man's face, left profile. no shoulders... maybe wearing a hat or crown? It is not in sufficient condition to photograph only a dark gray disc appears.
I believe there is some form of lettering curving around the top, but I can't make out the letters, or even the language without a low powered microscope.
I will appreciate any pointers in trying to track the identity of this coin down. Sorry so little to go on, don't know what else to try.
Thanks. 

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Re: Please help identify an iron coin
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:36:11 am »
It's going to be tough because a lot of coins would fit that description, ancient or otherwise. I would suggest trying to post what photo you can - maybe we'll be able to see something there. Another option would be to do a paper trace etching - place a piece of paper over the coin and evenly color the paper with a pencil in an even back and forth motion revealing the surface of the coin - this would work especially well if the coin still has a varied surface and isn't worn flat.

Chances are it isn't iron. If it is iron it probably isn't an ancient coin (could be a button or a token). I'm betting that it will end up being bronze.

Could you describe the coin's circumstances? Like, if it was found buried in a field in Yorkshire, we're going to think about that differently than if it was found on the sidewalk in Los Angeles.  

Welcome to FORVM!   ;D

Offline Layne Y

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:37:45 am »
Thank you for the reply. The location is rural upper midwest, USA.
I'll try the tracing, not sure even that will help. Thew surface is worn but uneven. As mentioned, the face can only be discerned by viewing at an angle so the light catches it just right.
The ferrous content is significant... it is highly reactive to a magnet. I don't see any color other than silver and gray if that makes a difference.
Is there an on-line data base with images I could compare it to?
Thanks again.

Offline Layne Y

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:35:39 pm »
I took a photo,. such as it is. It's a jpeg, but will not attach.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity