Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus & Crispina from Mylasa?  (Read 654 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Commodus & Crispina from Mylasa?
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:01:56 am »
And the last question for today:

AE 25, 28.76 grm.

Obv.:  Female draped bust right (Crispina?); male laureate(?) draped, cuirassed bust (without beard) left (Commodus?); [...]HL KOM[...]
Rv.: Tyche (?) with kalathos, rudder and cornucopiae standing left, no legends readable.

The obverse female bust sure looks Antonine to me, and the left part of the obverse legend also directs to Commodus.

I figure that it may be RPC IV.2, 916 (temporary), however, RPC does not give any size, weight, or picture but only denomination R1 (probably derived from Akarca). Other Mylasa coins that also hold the denomination "R1" in RPC are about the size of this one. RPC however quotes Akarca 68 bis.

As I do not have Akarca, I cannot confirm the coins identity. Can anybody from this honorable Forum?

Thank you!

Thilo

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Commodus & Crispina from Mylasa?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:52:01 am »
I don't have access to the book by Akarca  :-\.

But in RPC online there is mentioned another reference. It is the auction H. Schulman, "The T.O. Mabbott Collection, Part 1. Coins of the Greek World", New York 1969
where the coin is described as lot 1734: https://archive.org/details/thomasollivemabb00hans/page/68/mode/2up
and pictured: https://archive.org/details/thomasollivemabb00hans/page/186/mode/2up

Perhaps this helps.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Commodus & Crispina from Mylasa?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 05:11:59 am »
Thank you, Altamura!

This indeed looks promising. The coins look very similar.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity