Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unexpected legend on Elagabalus/Maesa from Tarsus  (Read 709 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Unexpected legend on Elagabalus/Maesa from Tarsus
« on: July 22, 2020, 03:38:20 am »
Dear Forums,

a coin from Tarsus crossed my path these days. However, a part of the reverse legend seems uncommon but maybe someone can clarify this.

AE, 25 mm, 12.01 grm.,

Obv.: Draped, cuirassed bust right: [AYT KAI] M AYR ANTWNEINOC C
Rv: Draped bust right: IO[YL MAIC]AN SEBASTHN, but then below the bust (clearly visible on the picture) E ALLO T

The coin looks pretty much like RPC VI, 7070 (temporary), https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/7070, which is also SNG France 1570.

However, the legend below the rv. bust seems uncommon. I does not seem to be an overstrike (of course, I cannot exclude this). Also the lettering is not inward but outward.

So, any help is appreciated.

Best

Thilo

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
Re: Unexpected legend on Elagabalus/Maesa from Tarsus
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:31:18 am »
ΜΑΛΛΩΤ[ΩΝ]? Mallus is not far from Tarsus...

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Unexpected legend on Elagabalus/Maesa from Tarsus
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:15:17 pm »
Thank you, Ginolerhino,

I like the thought and had tried to check it.

Since the few examples I have seen pictures of are missing their legend in this spot I have been asking myself whether the attribution to Tarsus is right, at all. It must have been established via a (obverse?) die link but again (of course I have not handled too many Elagabalus coins from Tarsus) I could not find any links with the resources I have at hand.

However, RPC does not know any Elagabalus or Maesa coins from Mallus.

Maybe somebody can help.

Thank you, once more.

Thilo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity