Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Hadrian Sestertius travel series 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hadrian Sestertius travel series  (Read 152 times)
kc
Caesar

« on: July 11, 2020, 11:36:18 am »

Got a Hadrian Sestertius with RESTITVTORI GALLIAE

Between the years 119 and 136 AD, the emperor Hadrian travelled throughout the Roman Empire, visiting various provinces to take stock of his inheritance and calm the disquiet which had arisen in the later years of Trajan's reign. His travels can be divided into two major episodes. The first tour was designed to shore-up Rome's northern borders and began sometime around 119 AD when Hadrian first visited the provinces of Gauland Germania Inferior and Superior.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-163958

Regards
kc

gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:45:20 am »

Hi kc, another great addition to your collection.

To me the portraits on the coinage of Hadrian,along with those of the Flavian emperors, are among the best ever produced. On your sestertius he looks very much the calm and capable emperor. Just what his subjects would have liked to think I am sure. Although he was clearly intelligent and capable, I don't think Hadrian was as calm in reality as this beautiful portrait would suggest!

Best regards,

Steve
kc
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 03:31:29 pm »

Hello Steve,

yes I agree, the bronzes of Vespasian/Titus/Hadrian and Trajan have the best portraits and a range of variants. I think each portrait style was a special way of propaganda.

Thanks for your posting.

Regards
kc

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Hadrian Sestertius travel series « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop