Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC or Byzantine?  (Read 457 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
RIC or Byzantine?
« on: July 05, 2020, 07:21:12 pm »
18.9 mm. 3.19 grams. The bust appears young and crowned. Can’t make out any letters on the obverse, but there appears to be markings in the left field. Reverse depicts four crude standards with markings in between. The first one looks like a 1; the middle one is a F with a large dot above it; the third one is obscured by the remaining white encrustations. The mint mark appears to have 3 characters. Can’t make out the first one. The middle one is R (looks like a big lower case n; the third one looks like an N. I’ve scoured ERIC II and cannot locate it. Thanks in advance.
Ken

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: RIC or Byzantine?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:54:00 pm »
It really helps if you can orient the coins right side up.  Looks like Nicaea.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:53:51 pm »
Thanks DJ. They are right side up in my photo album. Idk why some apps turn them 90 degrees. I know Nicaea was a city near Constantinople and Nicomedia, but was there a mint there?

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 01:21:54 am »

With 4 standards on reverse on obverse is bust of Gordian III.

Pekka K

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 07:25:36 am »
Nicaea had a local mint making typical city coins during the third century.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:36:23 pm »
Pekka K:  Thanks for your help.  Having found the Nicaea gallery here and on another website, I'm nearly positive it's a Gordian III.  I will try mechanically cleaning it a little more, but I'm afraid that to read the obverse legend I will need to chemincally strip the patina.  The coin is pretty well centered and thus most of the legend and markings will be visible.  Thank you again.

Ken     

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 07:12:37 pm »
Again, first try a brushing with a stiff nylon brush--might help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity