Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal  (Read 727 times)

Magistros

Seal
« on: July 03, 2020, 04:16:53 am »
An interesting seal was sold a few months ago online. I wasn’t able to acquire it, but the inscription has intrigued me since. It looks like it’s Byzantine but from a later period, and seems to name a sebastokrator, possibly an Alexios (although a John also appears to be mentioned on the reverse)? Any ideas?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 05:16:27 am »
Yes, a later seal. I'd say first half 13th century. These metric legends are always hard to read, especially with a fragmented legend. I agree with your readings of the names Alexios and Johannes, the last of which is beyond doubt. Sebastokrator is also very probable, with the clear A-ligate CT in the first line and then KPATOP.

So we have two first names, and Ioannou being the genitive, this is likely a patronym. I think the obv. reads ...AΛEΞION H CΦPAΓIC ΓPAΦEI  ('the seal writes Alexios...

It's not yet clear to me if Alexios is sebastokrator himself or the son of a sebastokrator named Johannes.

Regards
Gert

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 05:22:18 am »
So now we have 9 syllables of our 12-syllable verse. I propose the first part reads [K]OMNH[NO]N, a fitting family name for an Alexios: KOMNHNON AΛEΞION H CΦPAΓIC ΓPAΦEI
Regards
Gert

Magistros

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 06:01:07 am »
Thanks for the informative reply Gert! I had the same issue - I’m wasn’t sure whether the seal describes a sebastokrator Alexios, son of John, or Alexios son of the sebastokrator John, but the former appears more likely then. Komnenos appears to be a good match for the first line and family name, I agree. From the photos of the seal I was able to read the following:

Obverse:

...OMNH
...ON AΛEΞI
...N H CΦPAΓI
C ΓPAΦCI

Reverse:

EBACT...
KPATOP...
...OC EΞ IW
ANNOU

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:03:09 am »
I found it in Wassiliou-Seibt's Corpus of metric seals (no. 1902 quoting two unpublished examples in DO and former Zacos col.). Obv. is as we found, and rev. reads 'sebastokratorountos ex Johannou'.

If I am not mistaken that's a genitive participium praesens (of the one being sebastokrator) in stead of a normal genitive (sebastokratoros, of the sebastokrator). No doubt this was done to arrive at the 12 syllables needed for the verse. So the case agrees with John, meaning that he is the sebastokrator (this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doukas_(sebastokrator). Our seal's owner is his son, Alexios Komnenos Doukas.
Regards
Gert

Magistros

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 07:19:19 am »
Thanks Gert! Fascinating that this can be identified with a specific owner. Is anything further known about this Alexios? From what I’ve read he was blinded by Andronikos I and then taken prisoner by Isaac Komnenos of Cyprus in 1187. I’m assuming this seal would post date these events?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 07:43:24 am »
Yes, he was sent to fight Isaac Komnenos, tyrant of Cyprus, but he was captured and sent to Sicily. After a treaty of 1187/88 with William II he returned to Constantinopolis. No sources about what happened to him after that. The seal can also date late 12th century, but I think yes, it dates after these events took place.
Regards
Gert

Magistros

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 08:42:09 am »
Thanks for the info Gert, it’s much appreciated. Mystery solved!

Also, do you have the full reference for the corpus of metric seals you mentioned? I’d be interested in reading up on metric seals.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 11:41:16 am »
Wassiliou-Seibt, Alexandra-Kyriaki. Corpus Der Byzantinischen Siegel Mit Metrischen Legenden Teil 1: A - M. Vienna: österreichischen Akademie der Wisseschaften, 2011.
Wassiliou-Seibt, Alexandra-Kyriaki. Corpus Der Byzantinischen Siegel Mit Metrischen Legenden Teil 2: N - Sphragis. Vienna: österreichischen Akademie der Wisseschaften, 2015.

Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity