Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small silver coins ID 2 of 2??  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Dorchestercoins

• Legionary
Small silver coins ID 2 of 2??
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:36:58 pm »
Here's second of two. I got them when I bought a small lot. Any clues to help me to find and ID and if it's look copy or original? This one have a diameter of 11.19  mm by 13.75 mm  and weight 0.7gr.

Thanks!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Small silver coins ID 2 of 2??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 01:00:03 am »
Both of your coins are examples of Russian "wire money".   I believe the denomination with the horseman holding a spear is a kopek.  If he was brandishing a sword, it would usually be a denga.

I don't have my references available at the moment to interpret the Cyrillic lettering on the reverse, which would spell out the rulers' names.

If you want to give it a shot on your own, here's a pretty good website to try:    http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detect_hammered_wire_coins.shtml

Craig

Offline Ruslan L

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:58:05 pm »
This is a Russian medieval coin. The nominal value is a kopeck, Grand duke Ivan the terrible (Ivam IV). The coin is completely original, there is no sense to fake them. In Russia, these can be purchased for up to $ 2. Later I can specify in more detail what kind, if necessary

Offline Ruslan L

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:32:56 pm »
Coin number KG 76 (КГ 76), the coin was issued in the period from 1535-1547, the coin was issued in Novgorod.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 05:20:47 pm »
What is the KG (K :Greek_Gamma: ) reference book?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ruslan L

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 07:42:03 pm »
What is the KG (K :Greek_Gamma: ) reference book?

SC

Grishin's catalog number

All coins are guaranteed for eternity