Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander III Tetradrachm Caesarea Maritima  (Read 835 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Alexander III Tetradrachm Caesarea Maritima
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:33 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a very worn Tet, probably found along the beach at Caesarea.  I realize it will be difficult to properly attribute in this condition but any ideas are appreciated.  The most distinctive feature to my eyes is the style of the Lion's mane at the back of Herakles' head.  I have looked through all the Alexander coins on Wildwinds with out seeing quite the same thing.  I also looked through all the fake reports, just in case.  I have no reason to suspect the coin except that I can not remember actually finding the coin.  It may have been one my father found, or was given to him by a friend, but if there is anything suspicious, please let me know.  The strange surface and low weight of the coin could perhaps be explained by the long exposure to the sand and rocks on the shore.  Thanks, V-drome.

Greek
Alexander III
Tetradrachm
Uncertain Mint
Uncertain Date
Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing
lionskin headdress.
Rev:AΛEXANΔΡOY, Zeus seated left,
crossed legs, holding eagle and sceptre.
25.0 x 23.5mm. 15.62gm. Axis:0

(click for larger pic)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Alexander III Tetradrachm Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:04:52 pm »
To my old eyes, it is certainly authentic. The large amount of "horn silver" convicted me.
But not enough to detail of monograms to pinpoint the mint.
PeteB

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Alexander III Tetradrachm Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:47:04 pm »
Thank you, Pete.  I was thinking the same.  I was a little worried about the gray color, that it might be a lead forgery, but horn silver explains that completely. 

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity