Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine seal  (Read 767 times)

Magistros

Byzantine seal
« on: June 01, 2020, 01:55:31 pm »
Hi,

I’ve been trying to read this seal. Could it be 12th century? The obverse looks like Saint Michael. Does the legend on the reverse name the owner as Petros? Not sure if I’ve read it correctly.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine seal
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 04:53:00 am »
Yes, Saint Michael on the obv., in military dress. I'd say 11th century. And yes, the obv. names Petros (I think the dative is spelled with an omikron). He was probably an anthypatos patrikios. The last two lines mentions another thing, but much is obscured.
Gert

Magistros

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 04:03:44 pm »
Thanks Gert! Would it be correct to transcribe the seal like this:

ΚΕRΘ
ΤWC WΔ[OU]
ΠΕΤΡΟ Α[N]...
C(?)..ΠΑΤ R...
...EIC...
...TWN...

(Lord help thy servant Petros, anthypatos patrikios....). Could the R after patrikios refer to a further now obscured title (imperial...)?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 05:14:58 am »
The "R" is actually the Π of patrikios (here short ΠPI). You can see the horizontal line marking the abbreviation above.

+ΚΕ R,Θ,
ΤW CW Δ[OV ligate]
ΠΕΤΡΟ Α[N]
[ΘV]ΠΑΤ, Π[PI]
...EIC...?
...TWN...?

The last line probably lists another title and/or a family name.

Regards
Gert

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 05:30:57 am »
[S KΛ]EIC[...T]
APWN

Perhaps kleisourarches of Taron. I'd say that is likely, but not certain until we find a corroborating parallel example that allows to read more of the legend.
Regards
Gert

Magistros

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 06:45:10 am »
Thanks Gert! Am learning a lot about seals through this forum. I see the APWN on the last line now. Taron was a border region of the Empire, yes?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 02:13:58 pm »
Yes, it was located in Greater Armenia, west of lake Van. The former principality of Taron was annexed by the Byzantines in 967/68 and lost to the Turks after Manzikert. This seal would fit this period well stylistically (1st half - middle 11th cent.)
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity