Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: 1795 coin to identify 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1795 coin to identify  (Read 99 times)
lex m
Praetorian

« on: June 29, 2020, 08:15:39 am »

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

A friend of mine found some coins and wanted identification. All in extremely bad shape but I was able to identify them. This one puzzled me.
Any chance for a match, please?
Year seems to be 1795.
(he is aware its value is 0 due to the extremely poor shape)
PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

omnium curiositatum explorator

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:28:33 am »

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like and English trade token. I can't read enough of the inscription to identify it, though.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
shanxi
Tribunus Plebis 2018
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:50:12 am »

Looks like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3357305

lex m
Praetorian

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:53:36 am »

Thanks for checking.
In the meantime I found it, it is this one or very similar

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1795-cronebane-halfpenny-token-502333154?fbclid=IwAR07umaoE3fD6DWIm-x7gY5KRRLRYfcJFJ1_-rpa1omqOtCNvhrjUPy6JpQ

(the side with the bishop is upside down in my friend's pics).

Not sure where he got them (he also has a George III halfpenny and 1/2 penny 1792 token from Ireland, I managed to identify those ones myself), but all in very poor condition.

He didn't believe me when I told him that the total value is about a pint of beer, he's convinced that he owns a fortune now, but that's his problem.

L.E. shanxi, also found it, thank you.
A nice token, but NOT in this condition from the pictures.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:43:18 am »

Ha!  Imagine if he had found a beat up old 4th century Roman bronze and you had to tell him it had the same value or less.......

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
lex m
Praetorian

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 12:47:09 pm »

Wink Definitely!
My main area are modern coins and banknotes. But as a collector I think it's common sense to read about other areas as well (knowing how to identify, grading correctly, know about market value....). This is why I like helping in identifying ancient or medieval coins or I ask for help when I'm stuck. 

And yes of course, I know from experience that 95% of beginners or people not related to this hobby will be convinced that a 4th century Roman coin in Poor grading will worth at least the price of a new car.

Just yesterday I failed to convince a guy that is 1942 silver coin (6 g of 0.835 silver, VG-F grade, over 30 millions mintage ) has just the metal value.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: 1795 coin to identify « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop