Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 1795 coin to identify  (Read 632 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
1795 coin to identify
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:15:39 am »
Good day ladies and gentlemen,

A friend of mine found some coins and wanted identification. All in extremely bad shape but I was able to identify them. This one puzzled me.
Any chance for a match, please?
Year seems to be 1795.
(he is aware its value is 0 due to the extremely poor shape)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: 1795 coin to identify
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:28:33 pm »
I may be wrong, but it looks to me like and English trade token. I can't read enough of the inscription to identify it, though.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:50:12 pm »

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:53:36 pm »
Thanks for checking.
In the meantime I found it, it is this one or very similar

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1795-cronebane-halfpenny-token-502333154?fbclid=IwAR07umaoE3fD6DWIm-x7gY5KRRLRYfcJFJ1_-rpa1omqOtCNvhrjUPy6JpQ

(the side with the bishop is upside down in my friend's pics).

Not sure where he got them (he also has a George III halfpenny and 1/2 penny 1792 token from Ireland, I managed to identify those ones myself), but all in very poor condition.

He didn't believe me when I told him that the total value is about a pint of beer, he's convinced that he owns a fortune now, but that's his problem.

L.E. shanxi, also found it, thank you.
A nice token, but NOT in this condition from the pictures.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:43:18 pm »
Ha!  Imagine if he had found a beat up old 4th century Roman bronze and you had to tell him it had the same value or less.......

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:09 pm »
 ;) Definitely!
My main area are modern coins and banknotes. But as a collector I think it's common sense to read about other areas as well (knowing how to identify, grading correctly, know about market value....). This is why I like helping in identifying ancient or medieval coins or I ask for help when I'm stuck. 

And yes of course, I know from experience that 95% of beginners or people not related to this hobby will be convinced that a 4th century Roman coin in Poor grading will worth at least the price of a new car.

Just yesterday I failed to convince a guy that is 1942 silver coin (6 g of 0.835 silver, VG-F grade, over 30 millions mintage ) has just the metal value.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity