Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 1795 coin to identify  (Read 630 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
1795 coin to identify
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:15:39 am »
Good day ladies and gentlemen,

A friend of mine found some coins and wanted identification. All in extremely bad shape but I was able to identify them. This one puzzled me.
Any chance for a match, please?
Year seems to be 1795.
(he is aware its value is 0 due to the extremely poor shape)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: 1795 coin to identify
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:28:33 pm »
I may be wrong, but it looks to me like and English trade token. I can't read enough of the inscription to identify it, though.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:50:12 pm »

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:53:36 pm »
Thanks for checking.
In the meantime I found it, it is this one or very similar

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1795-cronebane-halfpenny-token-502333154?fbclid=IwAR07umaoE3fD6DWIm-x7gY5KRRLRYfcJFJ1_-rpa1omqOtCNvhrjUPy6JpQ

(the side with the bishop is upside down in my friend's pics).

Not sure where he got them (he also has a George III halfpenny and 1/2 penny 1792 token from Ireland, I managed to identify those ones myself), but all in very poor condition.

He didn't believe me when I told him that the total value is about a pint of beer, he's convinced that he owns a fortune now, but that's his problem.

L.E. shanxi, also found it, thank you.
A nice token, but NOT in this condition from the pictures.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:43:18 pm »
Ha!  Imagine if he had found a beat up old 4th century Roman bronze and you had to tell him it had the same value or less.......

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:09 pm »
 ;) Definitely!
My main area are modern coins and banknotes. But as a collector I think it's common sense to read about other areas as well (knowing how to identify, grading correctly, know about market value....). This is why I like helping in identifying ancient or medieval coins or I ask for help when I'm stuck. 

And yes of course, I know from experience that 95% of beginners or people not related to this hobby will be convinced that a 4th century Roman coin in Poor grading will worth at least the price of a new car.

Just yesterday I failed to convince a guy that is 1942 silver coin (6 g of 0.835 silver, VG-F grade, over 30 millions mintage ) has just the metal value.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity