Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two more medieval coins  (Read 1538 times)

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
Two more medieval coins
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:38:58 pm »
These coins was found with metal-detector on the place of medieval willarge.The first one is iron and looks like a "gian galeazzo maria sforza teston" but it is smaller! IT SEEMS FOR MEE IT IS A RUDE FAKE! :P

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
Re: Two more medieval coins
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:48:37 pm »
The second one is a hungary denar of "Mathias the second 1612 patrona hungaria" ::) Isnt it ???

Maffeo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »
I can't help you with the second coin, but the first is definitely a fake. This is immediately evident in that both Ludovico Maria Sforza (in the first pic) and Giangaleazzo Maria Sforza (in the second) are indicated in the legends as DVX. MLI (Dux Mediolani = duke of Milan). At the time Giangaleazzo was duke of Milan while Ludovico Maria was regent, hence the real coin qualifies him as such and not as duke.  These fakes were produced as a publicity gimmick by candy makers in Italy in the 1960s.

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »
thank You for you coment! I understand,thai it was a fake,but i belive that it is not so rude... :-[

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:56:19 am »
And what about mathias denar,the second coin? Who can help me? :'( ???

Manzikert

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:07:50 pm »
Hi

Yes, though the ruler's name is off the flan at top right on the reverse, the date is definitely in the reign of Matthias II (1608-1619). I believe this coin was struck at the Kremnitz mint (KB at the sides of the shield).

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:20:15 pm »
Yes, it is a Hungarian denar, issued during the reign of Matthias II, from the Kremnitz mint (then Körmöcbánya, Hungary, now Kremnica, Slovakia).

The catalog reference is Huszár 1140.

The legends read:  MAT • II • D • G • HV • BO • REX • 1612 •
and
PATRONA • HVNGARI •

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:43:04 pm »
 ??? I find some where in net information about these denar, that such Mathias denar is very rare-R6! Is it true? Thank you for opinions :D

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 09:59:13 pm »
It is true that Huszár assigns it a rarity rating of R6. 

Huszár uses a scale of 1-14 and then R1-R5 for medieval silver and base metal coins, but then uses a different scale for coins minted after 1540 (I just realized this tonight).  This different scale appears to go from R1-R14.  On this scale, an R6 would not be rare.

Sorry. :(

Cibalia

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:34:33 am »
It is true that Huszár assigns it a rarity rating of R6. 

Huszár uses a scale of 1-14 and then R1-R5 for medieval silver and base metal coins, but then uses a different scale for coins minted after 1540 (I just realized this tonight).  This different scale appears to go from R1-R14.  On this scale, an R6 would not be rare.

Sorry. :(

Thanks for that, I wondered how his system worked, me not reading German! I found this exact type two days ago, same date too.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 09:40:39 am »
Looking on Coin Archives, coins rated R6 do seem to be at least sometimes described as rare. Also, although on p. 19 is says the scale goes from R1 - R14, it actually appears to up to R20.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity