Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE 12 Erythrai?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
Greek AE 12 Erythrai?
« on: June 27, 2020, 03:44:55 pm »
Hi,

This coin is a bit worn, still are some texts visibel. I thinks that on the frontside a portret of athena with crested helmet is visible and on the backside there is a text of a magistrate?  It a AE12 made of yellow copper.

It looks remarkably like the coins from Erythrai, but cannot recognize the magistrate.
Any help would be appreciated.

Yours,
Pim

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Greek AE 12 Erythrai?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:14:17 am »
The magistrate is ΚΟΡΔΥΠΟΣ  EΠIKOYPOY, same as here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=122606.0

Regards

Altamura

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 03:51:02 am »
Hi Altamura,

It indeed appears to be the same magistrate. I dind't notice the similarety. What coincidence. This example has a 12 mm diameter.  Is it also described by Kinns or is this just a variant  of the one you mentioned in the link?

I did find a coin with this inscription: "IONIA. Erythrai. Ae (133-30 BC). Poseidonios, son of Epikuros, magistrate. Obv: Wreathed and bearded head of Herakles left. Rev: EPY / ΠOΣEIΔΩNIOΣ HPAKΛEOY TOY EΠIKOYROY". Could it be that this Kordupos Epikuros was his father. That would date this coin.

Thanks for you help,

Pim

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 02:34:45 pm »
Quote from: Pim San on June 28, 2020, 03:51:02 am
... This example has a 12 mm diameter.  Is it also described by Kinns or is this just a variant  of the one you mentioned in the link? ...

Ancient coins have been handmade, so there is a certain variation of size and weight within a single type. Bronzes are varying more than silver and gold. So it is the same type.

Quote from: Pim San on June 28, 2020, 03:51:02 am
... Rev: EPY / ΠOΣEIΔΩNIOΣ HPAKΛEOY TOY EΠIKOYROY"[/i][/i]. Could it be that this Kordupos Epikuros was his father. That would date this coin. ...

The coin with ΚΟΡΔΥΠΟΣ  EΠIKOYPOY is dated by Kinns with "c. 220-170 B.C.", the coin with ΠΟΣΕΙΔΩΝΙΟΣ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΟΥ ΤΟΥ EΠIKOYPOY to "c.70-60 B.C.". So they have been probably not father and son.
Besides of that I'm not sure whether EΠIKOYPOΣ in the second case really is a father's name (and in this case on both coins would be the father's name), usually after the TOY follows a city's name or something like that :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:30 pm »
I think the last remarks, will make the identification complete.
 ;)
Many thanks for your great help
 +++
Pim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity