Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Ae10  (Read 744 times)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
Greek Ae10
« on: June 27, 2020, 01:24:27 pm »
Hi,

I've got a couple of coins, which are pretty difficult to identiy. This one is a AE10 which I bought with many coin form Ionia.

Does anyone recognize it? It look a bit like the coins from Rhodos, but certainly different in Style.

Thanks in Advance,
Pim

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Greek Ae10
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 01:29:55 pm »

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 03:45:52 pm »
Wow,

That was a fast response.
Appreciated,

Manny Thanks Pekka +++

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 02:35:09 am »
These bronzes of Rhodes occur with many different symbols, monograms and letters (mostly) on the left side of the reverse. The example of Pekka with the trident perhaps does not match exactly with the coin presented here, I don't see a trident or any other symbol  :-\.

A list of many of these variants is given in the BMC:
https://archive.org/details/ldpd_11897691_000/page/364/mode/2up

If your coin does not have any symbol at all, it would be BMC 106-07.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 03:58:17 am »
Thank you Altamura foor this addition,

I believe there are many possibilities, but since the coin is pretty worn and the symbol may be off-flan I will catalog it as BMC106 to complete the ID.

Thanks all,

Pim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity